Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

September 27, 2022, 11:42:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 246137
  • Total Topics: 24580
  • Online Today: 282
  • Online Ever: 1127
  • (January 16, 2020, 04:17:02 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 106
Total: 107

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: Appeals Council Wait Time  (Read 19041 times)

Dragon Fly

• Glitter Queen SSDFacts Doughnator
  • SSDFacts VIP
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 36
  • Mood Swing Goddess of the West Tinfoil Crinkle
Re: Appeals Council Wait Time
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2012, 09:03:10 pm »
Uuuugh masharp!!!
So sorry...
 :group hug: :group hug: :group hug:
>;<
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." --  Friedrich Nietzsche

masharp

• ~ Titanium ~
  • People helped 10
  • My children are my dogs...
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2012, 08:41:09 pm »
My Senator's office calls me every month with an update when they call to check on the status of my claim.  It's so frustrating that the Senator's office keeps me more informed than my attorney's office.  I think I may have made a mistake hiring the office that I did.  They just don't seem to want to ever help me or even answer my questions.  Every time I ask them what the wait time is normally with the cases they see.  They always tell me it could be 36 months from the time the appeal began.  Why do some cases get their review in a shorter length of time?  It looks like they would go in order of the time they receive the claims so other people don't have to wait 36 months while some only wait around a year.  Why is this system so unfair?  Something is going to have to give soon because I can't continue to just sit and wait.  I have recently had two surgeries in the past 4 months and am having to use what savings I had to pay for all those bills.  I'm afraid I'm going to have to give up this fight before I can see it  through to an end. 

Missy
Wishing for happiness to come and all the pain to go away.

masharp

• ~ Titanium ~
  • People helped 10
  • My children are my dogs...
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2012, 08:53:19 pm »
Here's what I'm up against if I do get a remand:  Judge Joan A Lawrence   14% dismissed   42% approved and 44% denied.  I was surprised when I just check my Judges statistics.  Last time I checked her denial rate was close to 60%, the highest in my ODAR office.  This is the best I've ever seen her stats in the three years I've been fighting this.  I wonder why they have changed so drastically? ???
Wishing for happiness to come and all the pain to go away.

JeffBanks

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2012, 09:49:44 pm »
.....I did review the case you mentioned and it does speak of the things you mentioned.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I just read the complaint, I couldn't finish it because is was just heartbreaking.

The WORST part is that it is apparently impossible to have an ALJ removed. The first example cited was rebuked by the Federal Court time and time again over 10 years, and yet the ALJ kept his job. This goes beyond a mere "mistake" being made (hey, judges are human, too) but rather shows a pattern of hostility toward certain claimants, for whatever his personal reason.

I was brought up to respect authority and especially judges and would find it difficult to believe this could happen here in the USA if I didn't read the complaint for myself. I only hope to God that if I ever have to appear before a judge - any type of judge - that I will be judged based on the facts and a decision rendered logically, rather than being based on someones personal ideological beliefs.

What the judge cited as the first example in the complaint did is completely UN-American, not to mention inhumane. Sorry for rambling, it is impossible to read that complaint without getting, very, very, very angry!

SallyLoo

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2012, 10:25:53 pm »
I filed my request for appeal in April of 2011.  In January of 2012 they asked for more evidence in the case and were reviewing it.  I think the letter from my Senator helped push it along, which they did because we had cut off notices from all of our utilities (which of course, after the tax return is gone, we have again and again). 

I have heard NOTHING.  It's been submitted since January 21, 2012.  So, I guess I'm at 15 months, too.
SallyLoo
Applied 2008
Chronic Lyme, Anxiety and Depression with Borderline traits.  Fibromyalgia, multiple chemical sensitivity and more.
ALJ Decision, unfavorable 3/2010
Remand 4/2012 (or so)
New hearing 10/1/2012
Partially Favorable Decision 10/26/2012

pinkwitch63

• SSDFacts VIP
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 22
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2012, 11:46:21 am »
My appeals council decision took 18 long months, I was granted a remand back to ALJ - my hearing coming up in July 2012 - awaiting it anxiously ! You schould be getting answer soon.....Just keep checking @ least 1 x month - I used to call the Appeals Council direct they were alway very nice. Hope this helps ! Lisa/NY
#LuvMyKaleb

doncon08

• ~ Gold ~
  • People helped 4
  • And that's the truth......
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2012, 12:52:43 pm »
I finally decided to check on my case at the Appeals Council yesterday after reading that some of you have done so. My lawyer told me they don't call them often because it aggravates them. I am now at 13 months waiting for my review so I'm a little aggravated myself.  I was lucky enough to get to talk with a very nice lady and couldn't believe it when she came back and told me my case is in review!!  One of the sweet ladies at my lawyer's office had checked late last month at one year waiting and it was still waiting in line. The lady at  the AC told me if I haven't gotten a letter in 30 days, I should call back.  My husband and I don't dare let ourselves get too hopeful....waiting and hoping for almost three years does that to you. Anyway, I'm at least one step closer to an answer, and if it's not the one I'm hoping for, at least I have another line in the water as my lawyer says....a second claim ready for an ALJ hearing.  I want you all to know that your turn is coming. And if you haven't contacted your State Senator to help you with an inquiry, I think it's worth a try. I did, and I think it may have helped. Keep the faith!!

Donna

Dragon Fly

• Glitter Queen SSDFacts Doughnator
  • SSDFacts VIP
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 36
  • Mood Swing Goddess of the West Tinfoil Crinkle
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2012, 05:26:07 pm »
You did good, Donna!!! At least you now know there is "something" happening soon....better than nothing!

Please keep us posted....crossing everything for you.

>;<
Dragon Fly
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." --  Friedrich Nietzsche

gigirg

• SSDFacts VIP
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 10
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2012, 05:53:41 pm »
Hi - new here, but wanted to add my wait time. I received an unfavorable decision from the ALJ in July 2011, I appealed to the AC on September 18th, 2011, and heard back from the AC on May 7th, 2012. So, a little over 7 months at AC for me. The AC remanded my case to an ALJ and it has been recevied at the local ODAR and has been assigned. It's a new ALJ as I moved out of State.

Gigi

Trajector Media

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 418
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2012, 07:12:22 pm »
gigi,

Welcome to the site and thank you for sharing your time line.  I look forward to hearing your story.

Marci
I speak from experience not expertise.

bigbabie55

• SSDFacts Supporter
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 84
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2012, 08:16:26 pm »
 :Welcome06: :Welcome07:  Gigi  :Welcome08:
Blessings! :heart:
Bigbabie

doncon08

• ~ Gold ~
  • People helped 4
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2012, 11:15:31 am »
Hi - new here, but wanted to add my wait time. I received an unfavorable decision from the ALJ in July 2011, I appealed to the AC on September 18th, 2011, and heard back from the AC on May 7th, 2012. So, a little over 7 months at AC for me. The AC remanded my case to an ALJ and it has been recevied at the local ODAR and has been assigned. It's a new ALJ as I moved out of State.

Gigi

doncon08

• ~ Gold ~
  • People helped 4
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2012, 11:24:14 am »
Gigi, looks like things are looking up for you.....hopefully, you'll get a good judge and an approval.  Good luck!!!

Donna
 :Main06: :Main06: :Main06:
 :Celebrate01: :Celebrate23: :Happy07:

E Wieczorek

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 11
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2012, 11:53:55 am »
I just started my journey there  with hope it goes by fast . best of luck to you for a favorable outcome.

gigirg

• SSDFacts VIP
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 10
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2012, 02:34:36 pm »
Thanks everyone :)

Gigi