Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

September 27, 2022, 10:01:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 246137
  • Total Topics: 24580
  • Online Today: 282
  • Online Ever: 1127
  • (January 16, 2020, 04:17:02 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 97
Total: 98

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: Please share your Appeals Council or Federal Court Experience  (Read 17668 times)

Trajector Media

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 418
Please share your Appeals Council or Federal Court Experience
« on: September 26, 2009, 07:03:53 am »
We did not go through one of these , please share your experiences. What was it like?

Was it an actual court?

What happened?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 03:46:37 pm by SSDAdmin »
I speak from experience not expertise.

sotiredoffighting

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 9
    • Fibrosisters
Re: Please share your Appeals Council or Federal Court Experience
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 01:53:53 pm »
The appeals council is not court. AC is a offie in virginia that looks over e'thing presented at the hearing and decide if the ALJ decision was procedure and correct.

qeqivah

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 02:08:58 pm »
we appealed the ALJ denial to the AC and asked for another ALJ hearing.  The AC remanded our case back to the ODAR office and directed them to hold another hearing to justify their findings and hear any additional evidence.  That was in April, 2010.  We filed the appeal to the AC in Sept., 2009 to give you an idea that it's another long process.  Once ODAR got the remanded case in April, 2010, it was another 6-7 months to get an ALJ hearing scheduled.  Either way you look at it, it's "take an action" then wait 6 months, "take another action" and wait another 6 months... >:(

sman1109

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 18
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 09:42:42 pm »
No, thankfully its handled without me being present, I have social anxiety. But the cases are usually won in the Judges room, so if its remanded I will go back to that horrible room again.

AC or Fed rarely approve it on paper

annieosage

• ~ Titanium ~
  • People helped 5
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 02:40:25 pm »
Hi everyone- long time no see LOL

We have been waiting for an Appeals Council decision since November 2012.

Still waiting.....

:Main06:

Best in the world

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 14
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 02:51:13 pm »
My case was approved in federal court I think that is very rare though.they often just remand another hearing

Trajector Media

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 418
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 08:41:46 pm »
Good to see you Mike....has there been any news at all?
I speak from experience not expertise.

caryn

• ~ Titanium ~
  • People helped 14
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 06:37:58 pm »
My federal case, it was only briefs filed by both sides. The judge approved and remanded for payment calculations but gave ssa 14 days to object...and they did. So now I wait again.
I didnt have to go to a hearing with them, it was all paperwork back and forth. I will keep yall posted on what happens next.

pinkwitch63

• SSDFacts VIP
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 22
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 07:30:49 am »
Been thru Appeals Council two times (everything via mail) last time I was denied a remand (Feb 2013) Filed in Federal Court @ that time to protect all my back pay (60K) From what I have research the Federal Court route takes about 8-12 months for resolution and normally gets remanded back to ALJ - than Approved. I too, had filed a NEW Claim (Feb 2013)and am awaiting a decision which was made last week - so as you can imagine sitting CLOSE to the mailbox ! Literally.....Trying to keep hopefully - I too, will be doing a Happy Dance !
#LuvMyKaleb

Chuck D

• ~ Gold ~
  • People helped 10
  • Faith & Patience
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 03:17:19 pm »
I hope everything works out for you its been a long road for you it needs to come to a happy ending I just got remanded not long ago now waiting to see what they are going to do

annieosage

• ~ Titanium ~
  • People helped 5
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 01:40:28 pm »
Ha ha I was just visiting the site again and noticed above I said we've been waiting since November of 2012.  In reality it has been since November 2011.  It took SS 6 months to get our new attorney the hearing records.  They received them in May 2012 and filed the official appeal and THAT'S how long it's been.  We just heard through our Congressman that apparently there is going to be a video hearing scheduled.  But we have not received that letter yet.  So a year later, still waiting......... 

Chuck D

• ~ Gold ~
  • People helped 10
  • Faith & Patience
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 03:47:05 pm »
My case was at appeals council for 14 months before I got the notice for remand I hope everything ends on a positive note for you real soon

Bonzai

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 505
  • Mean Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 03:54:38 pm »
I was waiting for a decision from the Appeals Council for 17 months, and received a remand.  It was another 6 months before the remand hearing as the ALJ wanted me to jump through a few more hoops.
"If one of these engines fails, how far will the other one take us?"
"All the way to the scene of the crash!" - Ron White

badback

• ~ Titanium ~
  • People helped 9
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 04:43:39 pm »
I have a hard time remembering dates because of the meds I am on. My case is in the AC now been there since Jan. 2013, this is my second appeal to them, the first one was sent back down to the same Judge and of course he denied it. We have a very good case I pray they will just approve it and not just send it back.
I must believe it will get better some day.

pquate

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 01:25:37 pm »
I applied for disability March 2010. I was denied. I got a lawyer and had my hearing. I was denied. My lawyer requested a review. The review was denied. I filed for a federal civil trial in May 2012 and my lawyer requested that their fees be paid for by govt if my case was remanded. Called my lawyer today (June 28, 2013 and was told by his assistant that the judge had remanded that my case be retried. Yay! The district judge's lawyer has until August to file an appeal to the remand decision. I guess it will be another year before we go back to court. I don't know what the official remand was based on but should get letter from lawyer in next 2 weeks giving me more info.