Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

July 01, 2022, 02:46:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 16300
  • Latest: Justru
Stats
  • Total Posts: 245490
  • Total Topics: 24498
  • Online Today: 251
  • Online Ever: 1127
  • (January 16, 2020, 04:17:02 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 87
Total: 88

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: Denied First time  (Read 5958 times)

Stinger22

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 1
Denied First time
« on: May 19, 2022, 04:17:19 am »
Intial application was denied. Sending a appeal . Here is my timeline for first case dont know why it took over 3 years.

Started in October 2018 just closed in 2022
Was at DDS after seeing ssdi doctors and sending it in. It was Jan 2021 from 2022 April . So a long time. Sent in a appeal . What should I do next?

starfire62

• ~ Bronze ~
  • People helped 4
Re: Denied First time
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 06:42:53 am »
Yes it seems to be taking longer and longer, I'm on second ALJ hearing, also filed back in 2018.  If you are filing reconsideration, you more than likely will be denied again at this stage and then will move on to further appeal and request an administrative judge hearing.  At this point if you do not have a lawyer, you need to speak with one.   Disability lawyers do not charge anything up front, they take 25% per month of your backpay with a cap at 6,000 from the date you hire them.   They could have been making sure all the documentation was handled and they will be in your corner when you get to the hearing.   It would be good to research who's local to you because if you have a good case they will take it (they don't want to take cases they are going to lose obviously because then they will not get paid).   But if I didn't have my lawyer with me in my first hearing I would have failed with all the laws he had to bring up. 

Make sure you have been keeping up with every single doctors appointment and receiving consistent care from your doctors.   You aren't disabled and sick if you aren't going to the doctor.  If your doctors agree you cannot work, you should be getting letters from them on your behalf, as well as your lawyers are going to be wanting them to fill out limitation forms showing how limited you are in function.   It's not about proving you are disabled, but that you are so limited with your disabilities that you cannot hold any type of gainful employment in todays economy.  You have to prove that. 

So yes get the reconsideration going, GENERALLY it's a LOT faster than the initial application and mine took about 6-8 weeks.   After that, getting an ALJ hearing takes some time so in the mean time do your due diligence and speak with a disability lawyer. 

Andynurse

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 07:41:26 am »
Thank you so much for your post here.  I appreciate you posting the timeline.  My case is regarding a seizure that I had on 11/22/19, I was at a laundry mat and fell breaking my leg.  The assistant in the laundry mat saw the whole thing happen and I do have a seizure history.  I had to have surgery on my leg as it was a spiral fracture.  I was a nurse.  I am now 59 years old and this surgery or small stroke, completely wiped me out.  I was working a sedentary job at the time and was out/ late so many times during 2020, that I was fired in Jan of 21.  This is all related to the seizure/ stroke ( noted on MRI in hospital at the same time). I applied for benefits in July of 21, and hired an attorney to help me.  I was told yesterday that my file was sent to the local SSA office from the Florida decision office.  Do you have any idea why this was done? If I was approved, doesn't my file go to the center for calculating my benefit? I'm just filled with so many questions at this point and appreciate all of the help I can get here.. Thanks again, Andy

Andynurse

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 07:50:51 am »
Forgot to mention that I do have other physical modalities and disease.  Severe hypothyroidism, major depressive, osteoporosis and osteoarthritis of both knees, compression fx of l-5, bulging discs..and the list goes on.  I can't walk without assistance. Taking a shower and cooking I wouldn't be able to do without my shower chair and my seat on my walker.  I've never felt so helpless in all my life.  My independence has been stripped from me.  Thank you for listening, Andy

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1036
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2022, 01:35:52 pm »
Did you include details like requiring a shower chair to shower, a walker to walk and the seat on the walker to cook ? Have you discussed these details with your doctors ?
Nerve damage in upper and lower extremities. Degenerative Disc Disease, RA.

Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.

Andynurse

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 06:26:42 am »
Yes, i have but that doesn't mean a thing because he's a lousy doc.  If I could, I'd be elsewhere as I consider him a danger to the community and plan on reporting his actions soon.  I'll be having an excisional biopsy on my breast next week so this has been on the top of my list to get done.  Thank you all!

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1036
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2022, 03:07:22 pm »
Did you include details like requiring a shower chair to shower, a walker to walk and the seat on the walker to cook ? Have you discussed these details with your doctors ?

Yes, i have but that doesn't mean a thing because he's a lousy doc.  If I could, I'd be elsewhere as I consider him a danger to the community and plan on reporting his actions soon.  I'll be having an excisional biopsy on my breast next week so this has been on the top of my list to get done.  Thank you all!

Did you include the details on your Adult Function Report Form from SSA ? If someone helps you with your Activities Of Daily Living. You need to ask them to fill out a Third Party Form. It is common for patients to be shocked when they read their medical records. Patients think doctors write much more in their medical records than they do. They also think their doctors tell them everything.
Nerve damage in upper and lower extremities. Degenerative Disc Disease, RA.

Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.

SteelCity1981

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 43
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2022, 03:00:57 am »
yeah, a good sum of doctors, just don't take the time to write detail notes on your conditions. I don't know if it's because they are time constricted, or simply just don't care too. either way, like just me said.. you can't just assume that the docs are writing detailed notes about your condition. That's why i ask for copies of my doc visits from time to time, because i want to see what the doc has been writing about my ongoing condition in their notes.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 03:08:37 am by SteelCity1981 »