Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

September 27, 2022, 11:28:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 246137
  • Total Topics: 24580
  • Online Today: 282
  • Online Ever: 1127
  • (January 16, 2020, 04:17:02 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 100
Total: 100

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: Conflicting Doctors and SSA-455  (Read 5147 times)

videonitekatt

• ~ Bronze ~
  • People helped 1
Conflicting Doctors and SSA-455
« on: June 11, 2022, 01:50:11 pm »
Now this may not be an issue now, but if I get flagged for a long form it might be...to recap. I just got my SSA-455 and of course the situation asks if I'm worse, same or better.

The kicker is due to covid and changes at the hospital clinic I see a new Psychiatrist, As of this week, I will have had 3 Psychiatrists in 2 years - the first one in that time period that that I had disagreed that I even had the primary condition I was approved for (Bipolar, but the other issues present) and suspected I had an additional condition entirely which could present as the other one (Autism - which other than a standard 50 question test, I haven't been on), the second doctor - the one I have had for 8 months actually after several sessions, deferred to the finding of to the previous doctors I had in the 8 years prior to the one I had for a year that disagreed with the finding, agreed with the other doctors (Who were part of my team that got me my disability) that the said primary condition was still present, as well as exploring the new condition suggested - Autism. Psychiatrist #3 I meet for the first time this week, and I want to hold off submitting the form till I discus my case with her. (I just got it dated today, so I do have enough time window wise.)

My primary care Doctor has referred to the Bipolar as "in partial remission most recent episode hypomanic", recently so I'm wondering is it better, is it not, I've not been able to find clarity. MY combined comorbities still affect me badly, and I'm still unable to work, or even function at times. I wouldn't call things worse, but possible additional condition - autism being added and the non-related medical issues makes things a mess. ) So I guess I'm "the same" when it comes to the awarded issues. Sine the ASD hasn't been set in stone (It's present, and I am guessing testing will be done by my new psych doc) It can't really count as something new.

So I have a doctor before the last one put in this files she disagreed with the finding of Bipolar - which is my primary condition I was approved for among other psychological issues and suggested it was something else (Autism), then the last doctor after her, my most recent, first stated there wasn't clarity in my recent chart history (Thanks to my previous Doctor) but then restored it to my current medical history. This is all confusing.

I guess I'm thinking a couple steps ahead just so I don't have issues if I get flagged for a long form, since If that happens, I'd only have one or two appointments with the new Doctor, and we'd still be in intake mode. I was proactive and sent her copies of the judgement paperwork from my approval to give her an idea of the medical evidence of the time. One does not get better from Bipolar, or Anxiety, or ADHD just like that.

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1051
  • Nice Administrator
Re: Conflicting Doctors and SSA-455
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 02:57:53 pm »
It is common for doctors to not agree on diagnosis. Your PCP is not a psychiatrist. He does not have the education and training needed to diagnose or determine severity of mental health impairments. Do not expect the paperwork you sent your doctor to change much if anything. SSA will put more weight into your most recent doctors. Mental health impairments can and do improve with medication, talk and time. I am not saying your impairments have or have not. Just that they can and do.
Nerve damage in upper and lower extremities. Degenerative Disc Disease, RA.

Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.

videonitekatt

• ~ Bronze ~
  • People helped 1
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2022, 03:20:43 pm »
It is common for doctors to not agree on diagnosis. Your PCP is not a psychiatrist. He does not have the education and training needed to diagnose or determine severity of mental health impairments. Do not expect the paperwork you sent your doctor to change much if anything. SSA will put more weight into your most recent doctors. Mental health impairments can and do improve with medication, talk and time. I am not saying your impairments have or have not. Just that they can and do.

Well, the psychiatrist was throwing out a diagnosis that 7 doctors before her since 1993 had diagnosed, had nothing to do with medication treatments (which have not gone well due to tolerance issues with several types and classes for all my conditions) I was just one virtual appointment (all my appointment's with her, and her successor were virtual), the first one and the Doc just goes and says "You're not Bipolar, you are autistic" but with so many comorbities, how could one Doctor figure that out? I had TWO Doctors confirm (I had a change of providers during the process) and agree I was bipolar related to my Disability case. (which impressed the judge!) MY most recent doctor, that followed her restored the diagnosis of Bipolar based on my history after a handful of month of going over my history, etc. Bipolar and related is my primary disabling condition. (Then Anxiety, and I think the ADHD and Sleep disorders) But also believed ASD was also present. So I'm not Better or Worse, I'm the same. Now i'll have a new Psychistrist starting this week - and who know what will happen or what parts of my history she's put strength on - I did as her to review my history back a few years before we meet virtually for the first time, plus supplied loads of info. So hoping for the best. It's no fun not responding to standard medication treatments that work for others.

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1051
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2022, 06:29:03 pm »
Are you saying you only had one virtual appointment with that doctor? If you are, I do not see her professional opinion carrying any weight. Why have you seen so many doctors in such a short period of time ? Have you seen any in their office ? Usually SSA waits until a doctor has seen you for 3-6 months. Depending on the frequency of appointments. Before they give their professional opinion weight.

videonitekatt

• ~ Bronze ~
  • People helped 1
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2022, 07:22:32 pm »
Are you saying you only had one virtual appointment with that doctor? If you are, I do not see her professional opinion carrying any weight. Why have you seen so many doctors in such a short period of time ? Have you seen any in their office ? Usually SSA waits until a doctor has seen you for 3-6 months. Depending on the frequency of appointments. Before they give their professional opinion weight.

Following the psychologist I was with for 5+ years (Who was part of my treatment team when I received benefits, and the treating psychologist at the time of my first CDR) who left the hospital clink that was treating me, I was assigned to a new provider who I was with for a year - they were the one who question the validity of my Bipolar diagnosis, stated it on the record and brought in the possibility of Autism. They left about 10 months ago, and I was assigned to a new provider who eventually restored Bipolar as an active diagnosis after several visits and was in the process of exploring the Autism. I was with this good provider for 8 months, before they left the clinic. I'll have my intake with my new provider this week. that's 3 doctors in just under 2 years!

The turn over of psychiatrists were my 5+ year Doctor took a hospital teaching position out of state at another hospital, the following Doctor (The one that questioned the BiPolar diagnosis) left the hospital but did not tell me why, and my most recent Doctor (7 visits over 8 months) moved over to another part of the Department. The last two Doctors, due to covid, I never saw in person, only virtually, and the last few months of my long-time provider were also virtual.

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1051
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2022, 07:29:17 pm »
Can you see a psychologist or psychiatrist in private practice? You would not have to deal with your doctor coming and going through a revolving door.

videonitekatt

• ~ Bronze ~
  • People helped 1
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2022, 07:39:45 pm »
Can you see a psychologist or psychiatrist in private practice? You would not have to deal with your doctor coming and going through a revolving door.

My last Doctor in private practice preferred that due to all my comorbities and health issues that I obtain my care thought this very respected and major hospital where all my other care is.

Covid is clearly to blame for the "revolving door" issue of my last two Doctors. (The Doctor that I had prior to the last two had been at the hospital for 2 decades, and my upcoming Doctor has been at the hospital for a couple of decades - at least - as well)

In the event I get kicked to a Long Form CDR, I hope that the 7 visits/8 months with my last provider will carry the weight needed.

newdawn

• Global Moderator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 516
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2022, 09:13:51 pm »

My last Doctor in private practice preferred that due to all my comorbities and health issues that I obtain my care thought this very respected and major hospital where all my other care is.

Covid is clearly to blame for the "revolving door" issue of my last two Doctors. (The Doctor that I had prior to the last two had been at the hospital for 2 decades, and my upcoming Doctor has been at the hospital for a couple of decades - at least - as well)

In the event I get kicked to a Long Form CDR, I hope that the 7 visits/8 months with my last provider will carry the weight needed.

You should be fine. They won't even know from your short form that you've changed providers and I doubt they'll care in the rare case you get selected for a long form. I think SSA understands to some extent the turnover in providers that some people experience. And this is a CDR after all, not an initial approval, and you've been receiving continuous care it sounds like. Try not to worry?
Age at Application: 31
Disability: Depression, anxiety
Applied: 11/2013
First Denial: 03/2014
Reconsideration Denial: 11/2014
Hearing: 11/13/15 (Friday the 13th!)
ALJ Approval: 01/15/16 Fully Favorable
Back Pay: 02/13/16
Award Letter: 02/17/16
1st monthly benefit: 03/21/16

videonitekatt

• ~ Bronze ~
  • People helped 1
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2022, 06:47:04 pm »
All this is stressing me out wanting to do everything "by the book" and correct.

upndown

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 11
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2022, 09:30:38 pm »
All this is stressing me out wanting to do everything "by the book" and correct.

I've PMed you and sent you an email as well a few min ago.

Best!

DisabledInWI

• SSDFacts VIP
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 68
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2022, 05:04:16 am »

Please try not to overthink this. The aim of the short form is for you to give the SSA a snapshot of the current state of your disability by truthfully answering the six questions on the form. For example, question #5 wants to know if you have been to a doctor and for what reason. They aren't asking for the outcome of your visits to the doctor, just the purpose of why you went. All you need to tell them at this point is that you've been to a doctor (or doctors) for my disabling condition on these dates and list the three most recent visits.
Age at Application: 48 (Currently 59)
Disability: Patellofemoral osteoarthritis both knees; Osteoarthritis left hip
Applied: 04/2012
Approved: 07/2012
Award Letter Received: 08/2012
First Payment Received: 09/2012

videonitekatt

• ~ Bronze ~
  • People helped 1
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2022, 07:52:21 am »
Do they just want Doctors, or visits with LICSW (My Therapist) can also be included as those visits are in tandem with my other treatments.

DisabledInWI

• SSDFacts VIP
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 68
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2022, 09:14:58 am »
Do they just want Doctors, or visits with LICSW (My Therapist) can also be included as those visits are in tandem with my other treatments.

It looks like you answered your own question in the last post (reply #8) in this thread.

https://forum.ssdfacts.com/continuing-disability-reviews/first-time-ssa-455-short-form-questions-and-a-possible-ssa-scanline-error!/msg253275/#msg253275
Age at Application: 48 (Currently 59)
Disability: Patellofemoral osteoarthritis both knees; Osteoarthritis left hip
Applied: 04/2012
Approved: 07/2012
Award Letter Received: 08/2012
First Payment Received: 09/2012

videonitekatt

• ~ Bronze ~
  • People helped 1
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2022, 09:26:08 am »

It looks like you answered your own question in the last post (reply #8) in this thread.

https://forum.ssdfacts.com/continuing-disability-reviews/first-time-ssa-455-short-form-questions-and-a-possible-ssa-scanline-error!/msg253275/#msg253275

Well, that's what I was told elsewhere, but I wanted to confirm it here where information shared is more reliable. 

newdawn

• Global Moderator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 516
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2022, 10:22:42 am »

IMO, any kind of therapy/counseling appointment can be put down as the instructions that come with the short form say this:

A "doctor or clinic" can include treatment such as evaluations, checkups, counseling, providing prescriptions or medicine by a doctor, visiting nurse, family health center, psychologist, licensed counseling service, physical therapist, a chiropractor or other licensed health provider. Treatment may be provided in person or by telephone or other contact.

https://www.ssdfacts.com/forms/SSA-455-OCR-SM.pdf
Age at Application: 31
Disability: Depression, anxiety
Applied: 11/2013
First Denial: 03/2014
Reconsideration Denial: 11/2014
Hearing: 11/13/15 (Friday the 13th!)
ALJ Approval: 01/15/16 Fully Favorable
Back Pay: 02/13/16
Award Letter: 02/17/16
1st monthly benefit: 03/21/16