Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

September 28, 2022, 12:08:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 246137
  • Total Topics: 24580
  • Online Today: 82
  • Online Ever: 1127
  • (January 16, 2020, 04:17:02 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 83
Total: 83

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: Conflicting Doctors and SSA-455  (Read 5150 times)

videonitekatt

• ~ Bronze ~
  • People helped 1
Re: Conflicting Doctors and SSA-455
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2022, 10:30:24 am »
Do they just want Doctors, or visits with LICSW (My Therapist) can also be included as those visits are in tandem with my other treatments.

IMO, any kind of therapy/counseling appointment can be put down as the instructions that come with the short form say this:

A "doctor or clinic" can include treatment such as evaluations, checkups, counseling, providing prescriptions or medicine by a doctor, visiting nurse, family health center, psychologist, licensed counseling service, physical therapist, a chiropractor or other licensed health provider. Treatment may be provided in person or by telephone or other contact.

https://www.ssdfacts.com/forms/SSA-455-OCR-SM.pdf

See how confusing things are - when you apply originally, a LICSW (Therapist) is not considered an "Acceptable Medical Source" (AMS) (although it can be used for supporting information) but it's allowed for the short form? Is it any wonder I'm stressed every step of the way! 

DisabledInWI

• SSDFacts VIP
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 68
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2022, 06:59:53 am »
As an FYI, it might be helpful to look through the SSA POMS at the link below where it discusses Development of Evidence as it relates to undergoing a full-medical review (aka long-form CDR).

Specifically, under Section D - Development of Evidence, part 3 outlines "Development of evidence from a non-acceptable medical source," and lists therapists as an example.

Link: https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0428030020

(Thank you to VET76 for providing the link.)
Age at Application: 48 (Currently 59)
Disability: Patellofemoral osteoarthritis both knees; Osteoarthritis left hip
Applied: 04/2012
Approved: 07/2012
Award Letter Received: 08/2012
First Payment Received: 09/2012

darkpurple

• SSDFacts Supporter
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 54
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2022, 05:30:58 pm »
Quote   The DE may use other medical sources that are not AMSs to evaluate the current severity of the MDIs and how it affects an adults ability to work or a childs ability to function   quote

from site just above

so this means that their therapist can be used successfully during cdr right?

videonitekatt

• ~ Bronze ~
  • People helped 1
Re: Conflicting Doctors and SSA-455 -you're gonna love this one!
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2022, 08:18:42 am »
Well, you folks are gonna love this one! My new Psychiatrist on our first meeting (which was after filing the SSA-455) and in notes constantly referred to my ADHD - which as been recorded as such by as predecessors as such (Including neuropsychic testing) for decades as ADD!

She says it's the same thing, (She's an older Doctor who started practicing in the 198's) but looking over the DSM notations on the condition, it's an outdated term and doesn't properly describe my condition.

Social security seems considers ADD and ADHD as different conditions, (Which technically they really are not) and now I've got to deal with this issue if/when they look at my records. I've asked her to use ADHD for constancy. ADHD is the secondary condition. OH, she fully agreed with the Bipolar Diagnosis and apparently the ADHD but prefers to use the term ADD in the notes! 

Now I'm worried if I get a 5% flag and they go over my records,(Or if they do a full review in the future) they'll see the change of usage from ADHD to ADD between the last two providers.

There's not change in my condition. This has me stressed out.

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1051
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2022, 12:52:45 pm »
Don't worry about the ADHD/ADD names. The main thing is the Bipolar. It is common for doctors to use ADHD to describe ADD and visa versa. It does not make any difference in this situation. What is important is how your ADHD/ADD symptoms affects your ability to function..
Nerve damage in upper and lower extremities. Degenerative Disc Disease, RA.

Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.

videonitekatt

• ~ Bronze ~
  • People helped 1
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2022, 01:57:25 pm »
Don't worry about the ADHD/ADD names. The main thing is the Bipolar. It is common for doctors to use ADHD to describe ADD and visa versa. It does not make any difference in this situation. What is important is how your ADHD/ADD symptoms affects your ability to function..

Well, the Doc has said they will make sure use ADHD in the notes going forward. :) So I got that covered. As I may have mentioned ADHD is noted as my "secondary condition". Just want to have everything prepared incase of a full review.

That 5% possibility scares the living daylights out if me and has me on edge. :( I know I'm not the first, or last to feel like that.

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1051
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2022, 08:51:00 pm »
The important thing is the details of how your impairments affect your ability to function. Your doctor needs to address this in your medical records at your appointments. You will need to give details when you receive a long form (full review)
Nerve damage in upper and lower extremities. Degenerative Disc Disease, RA.

Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.