Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

July 01, 2022, 01:44:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 16300
  • Latest: Justru
Stats
  • Total Posts: 245490
  • Total Topics: 24498
  • Online Today: 251
  • Online Ever: 1127
  • (January 16, 2020, 04:17:02 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 99
Total: 101

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: My 1st CDR - being sent to Consultative Exams?  (Read 6961 times)

newdawn

• Global Moderator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 503
Re: My 1st CDR - being sent to Consultative Exams?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2022, 08:32:50 pm »
So far, VET76 is making all the same points I would make in this thread.

However, maybe if Buggyy was originally approved based on stroke and now the evidence of the stroke impairment isn't strong enough to continue benefits based on, maybe the SSA worker is developing evidence related to a psych impairment. But that hypothetical I'm coming up with off the top of my head relies on a lot of assumptions and things unknown (to me). Maybe there are other hypotheticals that could also explain why an AMS is needed for this particular CDR.

From the source VET76 cites (and I have bookmarked for just these types of discussions):

"DDS requires evidence from an AMS to establish any new or previously existing (but not established) medical impairment(s), whenever consideration of that impairment(s) is relevant to the current CDR determination."

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0428030020

Would this obviously be a good thing then if the SSA case worker is trying to develop new information to help me keep my benefits? I was approved with MIE in the initial award letter. I haven't gained any functions back in my side that was affected by my stroke.. I recently received my appointments for physical and psych and both doctors have terrible reviews online... I am terrified at this point..

It's neither a good thing nor bad thing. They have to develop the file. Most CDRs result in benefit continuations by the way and there is an appeals process  in case your benefits are discontinued (relatively rare) and the first level of the appeal (DHO hearing) is pretty informal and different in some ways than an ALJ hearing (which would come later).

Just attend the CE appointments and be honest. Try not to read the doctors' reviews online. Most CE docs are not known for being great clinicians. If they were, they probably wouldn't have the extra time and energy to spend earning on the side what little SSA gives them per CE report. JMHO.

That said, try not to worry. If it's true that you are still limited in the same way by the stroke as when you were first approved, the physical CE doctor should be able to document that. And the psych CE is usually pretty dull and basic--like a mental status exam. IMO, there's more at stake with CEs when it comes to initial applications.

I can't tell you with 100% certainty that it will turn out fine in the end but it probably will and you MUST attend the exams. They're usually fairly short and to-the-point, and it's ultimately not up to the CE doctor whether your benefits are continued. They just provide the SSA worker a brief snapshot in time of your current functioning and diagnosis (or diagnoses).

You can request your own doctors perform the exams but most people's doctors won't because they don't get paid much and they have to follow SSA's guidelines, etc. Also, it sounds like you don't have a psychiatrist or psychologist to perform the mental CE anyway. Just thought I'd mention it to those reading that technically I think you do have the right (if your doctor is willing and able) perform the CE. But it's rare that it happens and now you just have to attend your scheduled CE appointments.

Hope that helps and keep us updated. I know this must be a stressful time to say the least.
Age at Application: 31
Disability: Depression, anxiety
Applied: 11/2013
First Denial: 03/2014
Reconsideration Denial: 11/2014
Hearing: 11/13/15 (Friday the 13th!)
ALJ Approval: 01/15/16 Fully Favorable
Back Pay: 02/13/16
Award Letter: 02/17/16
1st monthly benefit: 03/21/16

SteelCity1981

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 43
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2022, 12:53:05 pm »
As someone  that has been to a CE during a CDR, it's not all doom and gloom, like its portrayed to be and I think that's, because  many people look at a CE with a CDR as they do going to a CE when they first applied for disability, but I can tell you it's not the same. For starters, disability has to prove that you are no longer disabled with a CDR, unlike when you first filed for disability where you had to prove to disability  that you are disabled. New dawn, posted something recently that in 2021,  there was a 92% success rate of continuing  disability after a CDR. So, as you can see the odds are highly stacked in your favor, unless you fail to go to that CE appointment,  then the odds drastically swing in disabilities favor to deny you.

Buggyy

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2022, 08:42:46 pm »
Question for you all, do they ever change your status from MIE to MINE if you've had a stroke and have not had any improvements in the last few years? I'm almost 40 years old and I know they look at age quite a bit as well..

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1036
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2022, 01:39:11 pm »
They can change it from MIE to MINE and from MINE to MIE. It depends on the medical records, non medical evidence and age. Age usually does not have any impact until at least age 50 or later 
Nerve damage in upper and lower extremities. Degenerative Disc Disease, RA.

Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.

Buggyy

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2022, 02:06:52 pm »
There has been no improvements since my stroke so I hope they consider it