Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

September 29, 2022, 02:26:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 246146
  • Total Topics: 24580
  • Online Today: 172
  • Online Ever: 1127
  • (January 16, 2020, 04:17:02 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 60
Total: 62

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: PANICKED - CDR sending for an exam need advice  (Read 4632 times)

LucyS

• ~ Bronze ~
  • People helped 3
PANICKED - CDR sending for an exam need advice
« on: July 25, 2022, 01:20:51 pm »
I have severe anxiety depression and fibromyalgia. I am 46 and have been seeing the same psychiatrist and Rheumatologist for 5 years. My rheumatologist wrote a lengthy excellent letter for my court hearing explaining why I can't work which the judge read and my psychiatrist also supports this.The judge gave me a bench decision for approval. I have been seeing my psychiatrist every 3 months for 5 years never missing and my rheumatologist 2 times a year. I am consistent with all appointments. I filled out my CDR  paperwork and have been waiting 2 months. Last week I received a call from the case worker and she asked me a few questions...can I drive, do I watch TV, do I socialize,  do I cook, etc. She asked if I was to be sent for an exam would I go? I immediately started crying. I said of course I would but I went to one for a psych exam 5 years ago and it was traumatizing and thats why I started crying. She was very nice and the call lasted about 5-10 min. I get a letter in the mail today saying I am being sent for a CE exam on August 1 for physical issues. I immediately called and got an appt with my rheumatologist for Weds 7/27. I am in full panic mode. I don't know what to expect but I do know they seem to be trying anything to cancel my disability. Any advice for the exam?

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1051
  • Nice Administrator
Re: PANICKED - CDR sending for an exam need advice
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 01:38:08 pm »
Did you ask the worker if she received the medical records requested from your psychiatrist and rheumatologist? If she did not, that explains the exam. If she did, it means the medical information they need was not in your medical records.
Nerve damage in upper and lower extremities. Degenerative Disc Disease, RA.

Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.

LucyS

• ~ Bronze ~
  • People helped 3
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 01:46:15 pm »
If I remember right she said she had my records but I'm not sure what exactly she is missing. Im going to take the Disability notice to my rheumatologist this week to show him and going to ask my rheumatologist to write me another letter/update my records. Then ask him to fax to her since I have her fax and info on the letter. I have no idea what this CE Dr exam next week is going to entail? The thought of going to someone who knows nothing about me or my past issues is frightening and for them to have so much power.

newdawn

• Global Moderator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 516
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 02:46:33 pm »
Unless Social Security cancels the exam, you really MUST attend.
Age at Application: 31
Disability: Depression, anxiety
Applied: 11/2013
First Denial: 03/2014
Reconsideration Denial: 11/2014
Hearing: 11/13/15 (Friday the 13th!)
ALJ Approval: 01/15/16 Fully Favorable
Back Pay: 02/13/16
Award Letter: 02/17/16
1st monthly benefit: 03/21/16

LucyS

• ~ Bronze ~
  • People helped 3
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 02:50:19 pm »
I definitely plan to attend the exam.

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1051
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 03:54:12 pm »
Are you being sent for a mental exam, physical exam or both ? If it is a mental exam. The problem is not with your medical records from your rheumatologist.

If it is a physical exam. it is doubtful a letter from your doctor will be enough to cancel the CE. Your medical records have to backup what your doctor writes in his letter. If your medical records do not have the needed information. I seriously doubt a letter will make much, if any difference.

Helper

• Global Moderator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 585
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2022, 08:41:42 pm »
Are you being sent for a mental exam, physical exam or both ? If it is a mental exam. The problem is not with your medical records from your rheumatologist.

If it is a physical exam. it is doubtful a letter from your doctor will be enough to cancel the CE. Your medical records have to backup what your doctor writes in his letter. If your medical records do not have the needed information. I seriously doubt a letter will make much, if any difference.

It looks like it is physical from the earlier posts

SteelCity1981

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 43
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2022, 10:18:32 pm »
So what was your initial disability filed under, anxiety/depression first and fibromyalgia second? Or fibromyalgia first and anxiety/depression second?  It appears the reason why you got sent to a CE is due to your physical condition and not your mental condition and if your psychical condition  was your primary condition that you filed for disability under, then this may explain why you are going to a CE. I don't know if only seeing your Rheumatologist just twice a year was the issue or lack of detail notes from just 2 visits per year seeing your Rheumatologist, but on avg disability only looks at the last 12 months prior to when you get your CDR. so when you wrote down how many appointments you made within the past 12 months to the Rheumatologist, you probably wrote down 2 I'd imagine, and that may have thrown up a red flag in which is why you are going to a CE. Now, I'm just totally speculating here, but in my personal opinion if this were the case I'd suggest in the future, that you see your Rheumatologist at the very least once every 3 months, just to air on the side of caution. Going to see your Rheumatologist 4 times per year compared to just 2 times per year just looks better from a medical record standpoint. Either way going to a CE on  CDR is not the same as going to a CE during your initial filing. More than likely  they just need more information to complete the CDR for your psychical condition. I wouldn't worry about it too much, I saw a CE during my first CDR review and everything turned out fine. You have a 92% chance of continuing your disability after a CDR. So try not to worry about going to a CE too much.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 10:47:42 pm by SteelCity1981 »

LucyS

• ~ Bronze ~
  • People helped 3
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2022, 04:51:55 pm »
Thank you for your input. I'm not sure which disability was primary to be honest. I thought going to see my rheumatologist 2x the past 12 months was sufficient but I guess not. If I get accepted again I will make sure to go more. His notes are very detailed (I have them) and it says in both notes that I am permanently disabled. I saw him 2x a year since my ssdi was awarded and I see my psychiatrist every 3 months. I am very consistent with appts. I saw my rheumatologist this past week again and he said that 2 out of 100 people he has seen get their CDR denied. He supports me and said he will do whatever he can to help if it gets denied. He said he helped those 2 people get back on. He said it was obvious I am not better. Since my award I had breast cancer and a hysterectomy and I take a low dose chemo pill to prevent reoccurence which has side effects. I don't know I guess I'm just scared not knowing what to expect. I figured since they didn't send me for a psych exam that was good and the records are sufficient. I'm 46 and my dr said that they are looking for a reason to deny me. He said one of the people they denied had lupus and kidney failure. My appt is Monday 8/1. Can you tell me how your CE exam went?

SteelCity1981

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 43
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2022, 04:12:54 am »
I question about your dr saying someone got denied due to kidney failure since I never heard of any disability application getting denied for kidney failure. kidney failure is an automatic fast track for approval since its considered a life or death situation.

As for my CDR CE, it was just the standard questions that SSA needed to complete my CDR. Nothing out of the ordinary. Usually when you go to a CE during a CDR  it's more about SSA needing to fill in the blanks that they didn't  get from your medical records over the past 12 months, than anything else.

Helper

• Global Moderator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 585
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2022, 09:20:38 am »
Re: the kidney failure - I am wondering if the individual had chronic kidney disease but had not reached the point of failure/needing dialysis - because it is possible to be denied with chronic kidney disease- but once some reaches the point of needing dialysis it is an automatic approval

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1051
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2022, 11:52:58 am »
I question about your dr saying someone got denied due to kidney failure since I never heard of any disability application getting denied for kidney failure. kidney failure is an automatic fast track for approval since its considered a life or death situation.

As for my CDR CE, it was just the standard questions that SSA needed to complete my CDR. Nothing out of the ordinary. Usually when you go to a CE during a CDR  it's more about SSA needing to fill in the blanks that they didn't  get from your medical records over the past 12 months, than anything else.

It depends on how the impairments affects ability to perform SGA. Some beneficiaries receive a kidney transplant and are denied afterwards.

LucyS

• ~ Bronze ~
  • People helped 3
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2022, 04:42:28 pm »

I went to the exam yesterday. Dr was nice and It was pretty cut and dry. Nothing like what I expected. I figured I would be grilled with similar questions like the long form. Just asked basic questions and what my health issues were. Checked my reflexes and took blood pressure. It wasn't as bad as I thought. Took about 25-30 min. Now I wait...

SteelCity1981

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 43
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2022, 08:30:39 am »
Yeah going to a CE during a CDR like I was saying is different, than going to a CE during an initial filing. I can see why people who have to go to a CE during a CDR  tend to panic, because it reminds them of their experience of what they went through going to a CE during their initial filing, but as you found out it's not the same experience.

SteelCity1981

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 43
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2022, 09:52:11 am »

It depends on how the impairments affects ability to perform SGA. Some beneficiaries receive a kidney transplant and are denied afterwards.

Yeah but a successful kidney transplant wouldn't constitute in having a kidney impairment.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 05:03:03 am by SteelCity1981 »