Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

July 01, 2022, 02:13:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 16300
  • Latest: Justru
Stats
  • Total Posts: 245490
  • Total Topics: 24498
  • Online Today: 251
  • Online Ever: 1127
  • (January 16, 2020, 04:17:02 pm)
Users Online

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: Approved and adding children  (Read 5445 times)

moekuk

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
Approved and adding children
« on: May 20, 2022, 01:22:33 pm »
I had my two children listed when I did my initial application. Won my ALJ case May 11th
Got my letter from SS that mentioned adding my kids.

So I went to the local office this morning. The line was not too bad. About 20 people deep.
It actually moved very fast with them having 5 employee's doing the window duty.
I handed in the original birth certificates, ss cards and  my letter.
After all that, I have a telephone interview on July 15th!!
I thought today was just handing in all the paperwork and that was all that was needed

Why do they need to interview me for each child? and two months away?

Other people there for other things, SSI, have tele interviews in June.

lucho13

• ~ Silver ~
  • People helped 5
  • lucho = struggle
Re: Approved and adding children
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2022, 03:02:12 pm »
I am having the same situation as you. No answers yet?

My story,  i applied and added 1 dependant. Went through the ropes, awarded benefits after a Federal Remand. So i get my award letter, and the math seems off. I am told to add the dependant at the Ssa office. I am asked why i didnt add dependany before, and i may lose some dependant back pay!!!

Never heard about this before. And a major law firn handled this claim getting 25%? If i lose dependant benefits, do i have any options besides legal malpractice?

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1036
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 03:14:11 pm »
It is the claimants responsibility to inform SSA about dependants. If your attorney forgot or was not aware you have dependants. It is not malpractice. If you have been denied and your attorney forgot to submit evidence. It would not be malpractice. Claimants should always verify what their attorneys do. The information given to SSA, DDS, ALJ, etc is the responsibility of the claimant. Even if an attorney is handling the case 
Nerve damage in upper and lower extremities. Degenerative Disc Disease, RA.

Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.

Helper

• Global Moderator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 580
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 09:52:04 am »
Even when you list the children on the application, they still need to do the application at approval to confirm the relationship of the child and also determine who will be the representative payee of the child.  They do not do this at application because not everyone who applies is approved. And it is not uncommon for custody of children to change before approval (or a child could turn 18 & be paid themselves instead of toa rep payee) - so they want to wait until benefits are actually payable. You will get back payments for the time you have to wait.