Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

September 29, 2022, 02:59:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 246146
  • Total Topics: 24580
  • Online Today: 172
  • Online Ever: 1127
  • (January 16, 2020, 04:17:02 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 74
Total: 74

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: Approved but question about children  (Read 3726 times)

Pegasusdream65

• ~ Silver ~
  • People helped 1
Approved but question about children
« on: July 26, 2022, 01:59:01 pm »
I was just approved for ssdi and it only 587 a month.  They told me today my two teenage boys are not eligible because I did not make enough.   I have never heard of this.  Any insight would be appreciated.

newdawn

• Global Moderator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 516
Re: Approved but question about children
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 05:38:50 pm »
I was just approved for ssdi and it only 587 a month.  They told me today my two teenage boys are not eligible because I did not make enough.   I have never heard of this.  Any insight would be appreciated.

This happens sometimes. There's something called the family maximum and while the usual rule of thumb is your children (together) receive about half of your PIA (primary insurance amount/monthly benefit), for people who have low PIAs for various reasons (too many low or zero earnings years, etc.), the family max ends up being low enough that your dependents aren't eligible for benefits or if they are, it's a really low amount.

For example, I receive under $1000/month in SSDI and my family max is low. I think when I was approved, if I had dependents, they would have only been able to receive a little over $100 total between all of them. I don't actually have any children/dependents but there's a PIA calculator on the SSA website and I was playing around with it once and it gives both your PIA and family max when it spits out the results. FWIW, I was around 31 when approved (or at least that was my established onset date). I had mainly low-paying jobs since I was in my teens. Also, during the years I was in college full-time, I usually only worked summers and holidays. I think this is what contributed to my low family max and relatively low PIA (as compared to national average).
Age at Application: 31
Disability: Depression, anxiety
Applied: 11/2013
First Denial: 03/2014
Reconsideration Denial: 11/2014
Hearing: 11/13/15 (Friday the 13th!)
ALJ Approval: 01/15/16 Fully Favorable
Back Pay: 02/13/16
Award Letter: 02/17/16
1st monthly benefit: 03/21/16

Helper

• Global Moderator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 585
Re: Approved but question about children
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 08:40:03 pm »
Because your SSDI payment is so low, you will be eligible for partial SSI if you meet the nonmedical/financial requirements for SSI.  This will increase your payments to a combined maximum of $861/month.

But yes, since your SSDI payment is less than the first bend point (https://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/Benefits.html#:~:text=Primary%20Insurance%20Amounts&text=These%20dollar%20amounts%2C%20called%20%22bend,workers%20becoming%20eligible%20in%202022. ) you will not have any dependent benefits available.  SSDI benefits are limited to 80% of your pre-disability earnings - and you are already receiving that based on your payment alone.

Make sure your family knows that if you pass away, they need to apply for dependent benefits for the children. Because even though they are not eligible while you are alive, they would be eligible if you were deceased - because you would no longer be receiving benefits.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 08:45:36 pm by Helper »