Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

July 06, 2022, 02:10:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 245510
  • Total Topics: 24501
  • Online Today: 338
  • Online Ever: 1127
  • (January 16, 2020, 04:17:02 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 51
Total: 52

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: Receive SSDI, question about dependent interview  (Read 898 times)

pts4560

• ~ Silver ~
  • People helped 2
Receive SSDI, question about dependent interview
« on: June 09, 2022, 08:58:38 pm »
I currently receive SSDI and was approved on initial application back in 2018. My wife and I recently had a child and I was told that they may be eligible for a benefit based on the fact that I receive SSDI. Child is a newborn that was born in May.

I called my local SSA office and the agent took my info as well as my childs info and said I would be called for an interview in August. 

I currently do not enroll in Part B medicare because both myself and child are covered by my wifes insurance coverage from work.
So my question is, would there even be a benefit available to my child since we dont use the Part B medicare? And also, what would this telephone interview consist of?  Also, do I need to provide any other documents to SSA before the interview?

Helper

• Global Moderator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 581
Re: Receive SSDI, question about dependent interview
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2022, 09:57:12 am »
Medicare is not a benefit available for your child.  No insurance is provided by SSA to dependents of SSDI recipients (or any type of dependent of an SSA benefits)

The benefit for your child would be up to 50% of your benefit amount (without decreasing your payment).  So, yes, it is worth proceeding with the interview.

Did you sign the birth certificate? If you did not, there is typically a little more proof needed that you are the parent.

Make sure you have the child's Social Security Number before the appointment. (I don't know how long new numbers take for infants.)  And have info on the account you want the benefit sent to.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 10:01:29 am by Helper »

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1037
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 12:39:07 pm »
As long as you are listed on your child's birth certificate as the father. That is all that is needed.
Nerve damage in upper and lower extremities. Degenerative Disc Disease, RA.

Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.

pts4560

• ~ Silver ~
  • People helped 2
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 07:13:54 pm »
I assume the hospital submitted all the info for the birth cert and SS card as I received the certificate about three weeks after birth and the SS card a couple days before that.  There is no place to sign the certificate.