Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

September 29, 2022, 02:49:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 246146
  • Total Topics: 24580
  • Online Today: 172
  • Online Ever: 1127
  • (January 16, 2020, 04:17:02 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 66
Total: 66

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: Disabled 100% Veteran applying for SSDI  (Read 2271 times)

ddlg42

Disabled 100% Veteran applying for SSDI
« on: March 02, 2010, 10:00:12 pm »
I would like to know if anyone knows if VA doctors are known to help out veterans's with telling the SSA that the veteras is disabled and unable to work? 
I just filed for SSDI on my own for Sleep Apnea, Depression, Anxiety Disorder w/Agoroaphobia, injured lower back among several other disablilties. Any infomation is greatly appreciated.

Trajector Media

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 418
Re: Disabled 100% Veteran applying for SSDI
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 11:18:01 am »
Hello and welcome to the forum,
     I had a couple of questions if might.  Were you discharged from the Miliitary due to your disability, did it happen while enlisted and if so what percent disabled did they consider you to be?  Also are you getting disability from the Military?  These questions will help me to answer your questions a bit better and maybe give you a bit more direction.

In regards to VA Doctors helping with claims, I have heard and read that it has been difficult for Veterans to get them to fill out the needed paperwork to help with their cases.  Apparently, it got to the point where at the end of 2008 the Department of Veterans Affairs put out a directive forcing the Doctors to fill out "non-department of VA medical forms" and they spefically named Social Security Examination Forms. 

This directive also states "Veterans may request a descriptive statement be put into their electronic health record regarding the current status of an existing medical condition, disease, or injury, that includes a statement of diagnosis, prognosis, and assessment of function for purposes other than VA disability claims."   

I have included this form below as it might be important to bring to your Medical appoinment in case the office staff tells you they do not fill out that kind of paper work.  I hope this helps and if you let me know a bit more perhaps we can give you more information to go forward with.  I wish you all the best.
I speak from experience not expertise.

sharp48

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 01:29:00 pm »
Did you give a copy of your awards letter to social security? or are you in the process of being rated for your VA disability? What I have been told is that as long as you have a disabilitating rating from the VA (i.e. say 60% or more) it can speed up the process as long as it concurs with a disability social security reconizes if not that would be the only reason for social security needing documents from your VA doctors. As if you have an award of disabiliity from a VA board that should be sufficient to skip the social security exams etc.

sharp48

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 01:40:25 pm »
Oh I see you are at 100% so that should be sufficient just make sure you have submitted copies of your awards letter as the process should be fast for you I filed dec 2009 havent recieved my approval letter yet but soc sec deposited a good amount into my checking account today and called me for an appointment for my son to add to my amount so it should look good for you thanks for your service brother