Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

September 27, 2022, 11:30:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 246137
  • Total Topics: 24580
  • Online Today: 282
  • Online Ever: 1127
  • (January 16, 2020, 04:17:02 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 100
Total: 101

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: New to the forum and to Filing my initial claim.  (Read 7673 times)

acaptainn

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
Re: New to the forum and to Filing my initial claim.
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2018, 11:09:25 am »
 I am speaking with a lawyer tomorrow who has said I don't have to have been denied for her to take my case.
 If anyone has suggestions for me about the lawyer or anything else I would love to hear them.

jsm

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 762
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2018, 12:55:41 pm »
How much control do you want over your case? How much communication do you expect between you and the rep? What actions do you expect them to perform for you? What is the rep willing to do for your case before it goes to an ALJ and is that worth 25% of your retroactive benefits. At this point, since you have completed and submitted your claim, you have copies of all medical records to submit, you have answered all the questions. If you sign a fee agreement with an attorney now and you are approved on the initial application, the attorney will get 25% of your retroactive benefits for doing next to no work. How would you feel about that?

So ask the rep what would they do for you and when will they do it? How much input will they have in the initial claims process? The rep cannot provide more accurate answers to DDS than you will since the rep (or some non-lawyer staff member) will need to get answers from you to give to DDS.

Reps really make little difference at the initial level and can't really add much to what you have already done. But perhaps you are willing to pay 25% of retroactive benefits for some perceived peace of mind.

If you go to a hearing, you absolutely should get a rep. IMO.

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1051
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2018, 01:09:55 pm »
Some attorney will take cases before the claimant is denied. But there is nothing an attorney can do that the claimant cannot do before the hearing level. That is the reason most don't accept cases before then.

If you are approved before the hearing level. The attorney will be entitled to the same 25% of your back pay. They would be entitled to that same amount if your case went to the hearing level. You can discuss with the attorney them accepting less if you are approved at the lower level. But do not ve surprised if they say no.

Ask about thing that are important to you. For example, do you want to meet with your attorney in their office a few weeks before your hearing ? Or are you comfortable with not knowing anything about what to expect until a few minutes before the hearing ? As the attorney his preferred method of communication with clients. If you have questions how long does it take to receive a reply ir return phone call. If you have,questions do you deal with the attorney or someone in their office ? If you are denied at a hearing and by the appeals council. If you think you might want to go to the federal level. Ask the attorney if they go to federal court. Not all attorneys can practice at the federal level.

Be sure and carefully read the Fee Agreement Before You Sign It. Ask for a copy to take home with you.
Nerve damage in upper and lower extremities. Degenerative Disc Disease, RA.

Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.

acaptainn

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2018, 11:25:23 am »
Merry Christmas and A great New Year wishes to all!
 Thanks everyone for your advise! I did go against some of the advise given about hiring a Lawyer at this point in my case and hired one.
 It has given me some peice  of mind to have another knowledgeable representative helping me through this journey.
 Goodluck everyone in all things !

NurseTina

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2018, 03:49:07 pm »
I called a couple disability lawyers and they all said to wait on the decision and if I was denied to contact them.  I understand where you're coming from though. I don't know if it would make the process faster or not. Good Luck! :Main05:
I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1051
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2018, 06:00:26 pm »
There is nothing an attorney can do at the initial stage. That the claimant cannot do on their own. Having an attorney does not speed up the process. At the hearing level when OHO is ready to schedule a hearing. It can often take longer to get a hearing date due to an attorneys schedule. But it is always best to have an attorney at the hearing. Claimants do not know how to properly argue their case in front of a ALJ.

SaveTheAtty

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 61
  • Primum non nocere
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2018, 07:08:48 pm »

« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 01:31:00 pm by SaveTheAtty »

acaptainn

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2019, 07:10:41 pm »
I received a denial letter today for SSI And SSDI, so I now move to the appeal stage I guess. I need to contact my Lawyer and see what they have to say. My understanding is the appeal process can take a very long time.
 One of my greatest concerns now is that, the insurance I had will stop very very soon.
 Not sure how I will pay for prescriptions and Doctors visits now.
 Fyi I live in Florida if anyone has advise.

SFVLance

• SSDFacts Supporter
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 203
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2019, 07:53:44 pm »
Does Florida have Medicaid, or a similar program?
Los Angeles, CA

Short Version: Filed June 2012 at age 46; major depression + general anxiety. Denied all the way. Fed district court remanded, 2nd hearing delayed twice (11 months total delay). Bench approval at remand hearing in March 2017. Took over six months to receive closed-period award pymt.

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1051
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2019, 11:06:55 pm »
Florida did not expand Medicaid. They have Federally Qualified Health Centers along with other free and sliding scale clinics.

The OP can go to www.healthcare.gov if they lose their health insurance. They may or may not be eligible for subsidies to help with the cost of a ACA plan.

acaptainn

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2019, 06:21:42 pm »
I did find a sliding scale type clinic near me.
 As for prescriptions maybe one of the discount cards I've seen.
 I remember seeing some suggestions in another thread about them but can't find it now. Anyone have advise on prescriptions?

ZetasNana

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 22
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2019, 06:25:29 pm »
Aacaptain, at your first appointment, they should tell you what they cover.  Mine covered free prescriptions also.  Or you can call and ask.

ZetasNana

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 22
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2019, 06:28:21 pm »
P.S.  Goodrx.com may be useful to you if you need prescriptions refilled in the meantime, before your first appointment.

acaptainn

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2019, 05:50:26 pm »
Thanks for the advise! I will check in to both options.

ZetasNana

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 22
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2019, 09:08:12 am »
You're welcome.  :)