Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

September 28, 2022, 01:25:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 246138
  • Total Topics: 24580
  • Online Today: 106
  • Online Ever: 1127
  • (January 16, 2020, 04:17:02 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 76
Total: 76

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: Medicare Question  (Read 5849 times)

darkpurple

• SSDFacts Supporter
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 54
Re: Medicare Question
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 03:17:36 pm »
I've done more research and am not sure but I think this is how it works if I have spouse work insurance, drop my medicare part b, and then later want to re-enroll in medicare b even though my spouse still has their work insurance.  Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

The special enrollment period doesn't apply because it's only triggered if my spouse loses their work insurance.  The general enrollment period for medicare part b runs every year from January 1 to March 31st.  If I want to re-enroll in medicare part b, I would need to enroll during that general enrollment period, and I could do so without incurring a late enrollment penalty because I've had continuous coverage through my spouse's work insurance.  So I think the only drawback to disenrolling from medicare part b is that I could only re-enroll during general enrollment period of each year.

see: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms/images/Other/G-CMS-L457-1.pdf

"Do I have special re-enrollment rights if I am covered under a group health plan? If you or your spouse is
working and you have group health plan coverage based on that work or you are disabled and you or a family member is
working and you have group health plan coverage based on that work, you may be eligible for a special enrollment period.
You may re-enroll in Medicare Part B:
• Anytime you or your spouse (or family member if you are disabled) are working and still covered under the group
health plan, or
• During the eight months following the month when the group health plan coverage ends or when the employment
ends, whichever happens first."

You can change your mind and re-enroll in medicare b at any time if you still have coverage through your spouse's work insurance.  You contact social security and let them know that you have coverage through your spouse's work insurance and want to re-enroll in medicare part b for double coverage, and you would qualify for a special enrollment period even though your spouse never lost their work insurance.

darkpurple

• SSDFacts Supporter
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 54
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 08:38:20 pm »
I'm confused as to whether you go through medicare or SSA.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 07:18:28 pm by darkpurple »

newdawn

• Global Moderator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 516
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 09:51:04 pm »
I know of someone on another forum who opted out of Part B. They didn't process his mail in form properly in which he checked the box that he didn't want Part B, so they automatically enrolled him by default and he had to go in (twice I think) to his local SSA office to finally get disenrolled. Not sure if he made an appointment when he went into the local office.
Age at Application: 31
Disability: Depression, anxiety
Applied: 11/2013
First Denial: 03/2014
Reconsideration Denial: 11/2014
Hearing: 11/13/15 (Friday the 13th!)
ALJ Approval: 01/15/16 Fully Favorable
Back Pay: 02/13/16
Award Letter: 02/17/16
1st monthly benefit: 03/21/16

Helper

• Global Moderator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 585
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 10:22:04 pm »
Medicare & SSA are separate government agencies.

Did you receive your Medicare card yet?  There should be a section to tear off & return if you want to not enroll in Medicare Part B.

darkpurple

• SSDFacts Supporter
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 54
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2018, 05:34:26 pm »
Thanks
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 07:18:50 pm by darkpurple »