Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

September 29, 2022, 01:31:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 246146
  • Total Topics: 24580
  • Online Today: 172
  • Online Ever: 1127
  • (January 16, 2020, 04:17:02 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 57
Total: 57

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: Newbie from Alabama Here  (Read 2535 times)

CKD-Fred

• ~ Silver ~
  • People helped 10
Newbie from Alabama Here
« on: July 29, 2022, 01:00:45 am »
Greetings to All -- my name is Fred and I just discovered this forum yesterday and am thankful to have found it. 
  It seems we all have a "story" as to what led to our health issues, work / life challenges and our eventual filing for SSDI; I'm no different. 

Due to a SCI back in 2009, my bladder completely shut down!  I void thru a SP Tube to a leg bag I wear.  The tube has been being changed out every month for the past (almost) 13 years.  Crazy, right --- not being able to pee for 13 years.  Over that time, since the bladder (a hollow muscle) couldn't produce the needed pressure to push out urine, micro-biologic sediment and bacterial waste slowly accumulated making me prone to UTI's.  Over the years, the walls of my severely neurogenic bladder thickened so much that my ureters, unbeknownst to me, began to collapse in the summer of 2019. 

The ureters are the tubes that drain / carry urine from the kidneys to the bladder.  With the ureters compromised, some urine always remained trapped / backed up in my kidneys causing damage to them.  By the summer of 2020, when the bi-lateral flank pain from the kidneys was too much for me to take anymore and I'd already stopped working, I sought help. 

After an ultra sound and labs, my GFR (the function of kidneys) was at just 18% of normal.  If it had fallen a bit more to about 12%, I'd have wound up on dialysis.  To save me from complete Renal Failure, a stent was placed into each ureter in order to keep them open so the flow of urine from the kidney would not be impaired anymore and perhaps, in time, my kidney function would improve.  However, I'd have to have new bi-lateral ureter stents put in every 90 to 120 days for the rest of my life --- that's a hospital procedure every 3 to 4 months.

Given Stage 4 Kidney Disease, the neurogenic bladder and some long documented / treated DDD and right side weakness problems, I filed for Disability in October 2020.  I'd been keeping a well organized spreadsheet of medical record info on myself for years so assembling the necessary info wasn't too difficult.  I filed on my own, no lawyer at all.  I responded timely and accurately to all SS communications.

Over the following 8 months while waiting for a decision, I had about 25 additional medical appointments and after each one, I called the SS Rep to give them the info related to the care received so they could add it to my claim.  Then in early July 2021, my claim was approved, and both SSDI and SSI accrued backpay began to hit my bank account.  Regular monthly SSDI payments began the following month, August 2021.

Just after Christmas 2021, I moved from the run down mobile home trailer in Charlotte, NC (the file state) to an apartment in a small town in Alabama.  I'm on my own here, live by myself and am trying to make it.  So far this year, I've already had more than 20 medical appointments across multiple areas:  Primary Care, Labs, Urologic, Kidney Disease, an MRI, one Hospitalization for new ureter stents, Mental Health check-ups and an Eye Exam too.

Anyway, that's my story of how things came to be.  Considering I stopped working in February 2020 (just as the Pandemic began), I've come a long, long way.  If you read this far, I thank you for your time.
Disability:  Kidney Disease, Anxiety, Back Problems
State:  North Carolina
File Date:  Oct 2020
Age at Filing:  58
File Method:  Online App, No Lawyer
Monthly SSDI Pmts Began:  Aug 2021

MisplacedTexan

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 39
  • Joined Forum early 2010 and approved in 2012
Re: Newbie from Alabama Here
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 01:38:08 am »
 Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your approval.  I wish you good luck.

:Welcome04: :Welcome05: :Welcome06: :Welcome07: :Welcome07: :Welcome08: :Welcome06: :Welcome05: :Welcome04:

:Kudos02: :Kudos02: :Kudos03: :Kudos03: :Kudos03: :Kudos02: :Kudos02:
Wise Old Texas Cowboy saying  "Never Squat With Your Spurs On"

I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are in order like they should be.

Caregiver to 4 wonderful rescued dogs.

CKD-Fred

• ~ Silver ~
  • People helped 10
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 03:01:23 pm »
Thank you MisplacedTexan, I appreciate you being the first to reply.
Happy Friday - I hope you have a great weekend.
 :Main12: :Celebrate07: :Forum22:

SFVLance

• SSDFacts Supporter
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 203
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2022, 10:46:19 pm »
Welcome aboard CKD-Fred...keep the faith!
Los Angeles, CA

Short Version: Filed June 2012 at age 46; major depression + general anxiety. Denied all the way. Fed district court remanded, 2nd hearing delayed twice (11 months total delay). Bench approval at remand hearing in March 2017. Took over six months to receive closed-period award pymt.

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1051
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2022, 02:27:42 pm »
 :Welcome02: :Welcome07:
Nerve damage in upper and lower extremities. Degenerative Disc Disease, RA.

Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.

HamBone

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 72
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2022, 07:45:50 pm »
 :Welcome07: :Welcome08:
:yahoo: Seize the Moment!

Just hold on a little longer, help is on the way
A brighter day is coming for those who believe and pray
Help won't help tomorrow if you give up today
Just hold on a little longer, help is on the way

CKD-Fred

• ~ Silver ~
  • People helped 10
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2022, 12:29:50 pm »
Thank You All for the welcome.  I didn't find this board until a year after I began receiving SSDI in August 2022.  I've read a lot of posts here since then, many of them quite informative and helpful. 

I've come to think that due to my tendencies to over-think / analyze / even worry a bit, that if I had been on this board back in the early days of my filing, given all the members' posts related to their own ups and downs, when taken into account with my own issues / challenges / thoughts / concerns and hope, that I might've over loaded myself with even more of the "what ifs" and made my high functioning anxiety issue worse.

On the other hand, it's very obvious to me that this board (due to its members' posts) can also be quite helpful and to a degree, both comforting and reassuring.  Maybe others here have a similar thought on this?

What assisted me tremendously during my 8 month application-to-decision period was the true belief and faith that due to the well documented kidney and bladder issues supported by years of comprehensive medical labs, imaging, treatment and medicines that supported my SSDI claim and the continuing reassurances from my the lead physicians on my medical team that I would be awarded SSDI.  That faith along with hope and prayers combined with some family and local community assistance successfully sustained me during the 8 month wait period.

I've read of other members' relatable posts and continue to gain strength from this board and just wanted to share a bit of my journey and thanks for this board.