Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

July 01, 2022, 01:17:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 16300
  • Latest: Justru
Stats
  • Total Posts: 245490
  • Total Topics: 24498
  • Online Today: 251
  • Online Ever: 1127
  • (January 16, 2020, 04:17:02 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 89
Total: 91

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: Parents retiring soon, DAC with severe autism already on SSI going to SSDI  (Read 484 times)

AmericanBulldog

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
Hello!  New here and with a 34 year old adult daughter that is disabled with severe autism.  We are going to be "retiring" soon as we are of age and found out daughter won't be able to get SSI any longer once we put in our social security applications but can collect off of dad's retirement benefit as a DAC (SSDI).  Wondering how smooth or difficult this will be to get done and all that will be required.  I will look around the site and it's nice to meet everyone!  PV aka AmericanBulldog

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1036
  • Nice Administrator
It should not be difficult. You will have to fill out a application for your daughter. She will be eligible for Medicare. In most places Medicare is better than Medicaid only. You will need to also apply for her to receive Medicaid that helps with Medicare expenses. It is a different program that the traditional Medicaid she receives now. DAC does not have income and resource limits. She will still have income and resource limits with Medicaid with Medicare 
Nerve damage in upper and lower extremities. Degenerative Disc Disease, RA.

Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.

mark

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 21
if she was Disabled  on SSI before 22 wont be a application, if she was Disabled before 22, they probably will start it automatically as soon as they see you put in for your retirement, if they dont call them, will have to answer a few questions but will not need to apply again or anything, its actualy a  Federal law Disabled before 22 when Parents are Retired or Deceased they automaticly switch over if you have enough credits for it She will get 50% of whichever parents amount will be higher
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 09:55:32 am by mark »

Helper

• Global Moderator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 580
Mark - I know a couple people who applied recently. And they actually were required to do a full new application- because SSA changed the policy a couple years ago and they won't just adopt the SSI medical decision.

mark

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 21
oh they just changed it recently? oh ok thanks

mark

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 21
Helper, are the people you speak of were they ON SSI before age 22? the rules state the disability defintions are the same only differnce is having to be disabled before 22 and parents having enough credits for it if you are on SSI before age 22 soc sec has the proof in their own records
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 09:15:20 pm by mark »

Helper

• Global Moderator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 580
Yes, they were on SSI before 22.  They were still required to fill out all the paperwork for a new DAC application, complete function reports, etc and get a new disability decision.

I thought it was a waste of time and money so I asked someone from SSA about it - and they agreed with me but they said it was a policy change abd they were required to do a full new application.