Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

July 01, 2022, 01:28:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 16300
  • Latest: Justru
Stats
  • Total Posts: 245490
  • Total Topics: 24498
  • Online Today: 251
  • Online Ever: 1127
  • (January 16, 2020, 04:17:02 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 99
Total: 100

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: Help With SSI Application while in SSDI determination  (Read 3610 times)

starfire62

• ~ Bronze ~
  • People helped 4
Help With SSI Application while in SSDI determination
« on: May 27, 2022, 06:38:57 am »
I'm trying not to mess anything up right now.  Just looking for guidance.   I have a secondary SSDI Administrative Judge hearing and my lawyer thinks even this secondary hearing a decision won't be made because she will still want a medical expert to review because one of my conditions is rare and not in the blue book although the rest of my conditions are.   It's been a long 4 years and I'm on the brink of homelessness and bankruptcy.   

I previously did not qualify for SSI because I was married and my ex husbands income was too high.   We divorced in the beginning of January of this year, but we did file our taxes this year jointly for the bigger deductions since I had no income anyways.   I know I'm under the dollar limit for what I can have in savings etc to qualify for SSI, but I do have a car lease loan.   I am currently on food stamps, I was able to qualify for that after the divorce.  I've been living off savings since then from the money we split from our home sale but that is almost completely depleted now, I don't have other savings or any type of investments. 

Can I re-apply for SSI?  If I do is that going to mess up my SSDI application that is still in the works?  I'm trying to figure out what my options are here  :Main20:   Any help with this would be appreciated. 

Helper

• Global Moderator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 580
Re: Help With SSI Application while in SSDI determination
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 08:11:13 am »
You can apply for SSI now.

The issue is that the medical decision for SSI and SSDI are the same - so SSA may combine the SSI application with your current SSDI application.

It is still worth applying. But it may not result in you getting paid sooner.

You can file a dire need request with proof that you will soon be homeless

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1036
  • Nice Administrator
Re: Help With SSI Application while in SSDI determination
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 01:27:43 pm »
For future readers of this thread.  As long as a couple is not living under the same roof and can prove it. The other spouse's income is not counted for SSI, food stamps, etc  Any money and/or inkind support  from the other spouse is counted  with SSI, food stamps.
Nerve damage in upper and lower extremities. Degenerative Disc Disease, RA.

Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.