Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

July 01, 2022, 02:07:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 16300
  • Latest: Justru
Stats
  • Total Posts: 245490
  • Total Topics: 24498
  • Online Today: 251
  • Online Ever: 1127
  • (January 16, 2020, 04:17:02 pm)
Users Online

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: Finding a purpose after approval  (Read 8319 times)

Tapnik

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 1
Finding a purpose after approval
« on: April 06, 2022, 09:30:14 pm »
Hi. I need some input, please. I've been on SSDI since late 2019 due to ongoing issues with my back. I've had 4 surgeries with my most recent one in December 2021 and will need another one within the year. The outcome of each surgery hasn't eased the pain I have sitting for long periods of time. This also extends to limiting my ability to stand and walk for very long. :)
During the past 3 years that I've been on Disability, my kids have grown up and started moving out. As a single parent, without a job, and now without my children needing me as much, I'm struggling to find a purpose. I am physically limited to what I can do, as many of us are, and I find myself homebound a lot of the time. What do people do to keep themselves "active"? How CAN you be "active" when on Disability for a physical reason? And how do you find a new purpose? It's something I'm really struggling with as I feel less needed as a parent.

starfishman!

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 4
  • Disability: Statutory Blindness
Re: Finding a purpose after approval
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2022, 09:35:19 am »
Not a "purpose" in mind, but I read for hours Every Day. I read slowly because of my poor vision, but still, I find myself responding to new knowledge very often.

Rosesrred

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 1
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2022, 12:08:23 pm »
I could have written this myself!  I say it to my husband all the time. What is my purpose in life now?  I started my disability also in 2019 after a freak fall in my house. I went from a "loving to be at work and productive" to nothing in a short time.
  My children are adults now.  Not much left for me to do for them and that is Ok. I'm glad they are doing well on their own, but....   It gets lonely.  So I am still seeking what my purpose is in life.

If you find yours let me know! :)

Rosesrred

MisplacedTexan

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 36
  • Joined Forum early 2010 and approved in 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2022, 12:32:01 pm »
My purpose in life has been to be the proud pet parent of 4 rescued dogs.  They are my special children and source of much entertainment and I am their provider of everything a pet could possibly need, Love, food and shelter along with being part of my adventures on a daily basis. I also enjoy learning about topics of interest to me.
Wise Old Texas Cowboy saying  "Never Squat With Your Spurs On"

I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are in order like they should be.

Caregiver to 4 wonderful rescued dogs.

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1036
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2022, 02:20:22 pm »
Some organizations need people to man hotlines. Is there a Domestic Violence and/or Rape Crisis or Sexual Assault Center in your area ? Victims can call 24/7 for information or just to talk. The calls are call forwarded from a main hotline. There are also organizations that work with pregnant women and  perform pregnancy tests. Women can call and get information and their test results over the phone. There are other areas that have volunteers main phones in their home. Many of these places need volunteers now especially.
Nerve damage in upper and lower extremities. Degenerative Disc Disease, RA.

Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.

SteelCity1981

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 43
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2022, 01:24:45 pm »
It's a hard transition to be in after  many years of being active. The human body wasn't designed to not be active, we are social creatures by nature. So when you stop becoming active  it not only degrades you psychically, but mentally as well. it's a tough adjustment for many of us who had active lifestyles before becoming disabled. The key is to find new ways of remaining active while on disability. It will not only be beneficial  to your mindset but still make you feel like you have a purpose, even if you are limited psychically and cant do the things that you once could. You just have to find your niche.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 01:33:37 pm by SteelCity1981 »

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1036
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2022, 02:00:25 pm »
We have the ability to adapt to life's changes. Going from being single to married, from no children to having children, from raising children to seeing the last one leave home, etc. Grant you they are by choice and disability it not. But they are major life changes in ways we never thought about. It takes time to adjust. Be patient and kind to yourself.

Write down things that interest you, things you have a passion for. Do you like books and reading ? If you do, contact your local library. Explain you situation and ask if they need a volunteer for a few hours once or twice a week. If you belong to a church. Contact them and ask how you can be of service a few hours several times a week. Do you like politics ? Call a candidate you support. They can always use volunteers for any amount of time. Do you like flowers and/or gardening ? Even if you cannot have your own flower beds and/or gardens. You can do it in a smaller scale. There are also small groups of people that get together that like flowers and/or gardening.  When you find something you are interested in it is not unusual for others to open up. The main thing is for you to know you and your life are valued and have meaning.

Tapnik

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 1
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2022, 09:50:33 pm »
Thank you everyone for taking the time to read and respond to my post. It really means a lot to me. I struggle with depression on top of my physical problems and every so often I end up feeling a bit lost, hence the post. However, I do feel a lot less alone knowing there are others in the same boat, so thank you for your input.

I do need to find my niche. I used to love to read so getting back into that is an option. I also have 2 wonderful dogs that I adore and keep me company. It's hard when the friendships I've made over the years were based on a shared purpose (work, kids' activities, school, etc) and without that, the friendships have fallen away so not only am I left without feeling purposeful but I also don't have the group of friends I once had. And then there's a struggle to have a conversation with people because I'm basically home all of the time and don't have a lot to contribute.

Sorry to keep going on and on. I tend to "talk out loud" and that's kind of what I'm doing now. I'm working through my thoughts and feelings. ;) Anyway, thank you again, everyone. :)

SteelCity1981

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 43
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2022, 08:44:00 pm »
I think having the ability to go online in this day and age does wonders, because everything you want to know about is right at your fingertips. I catch myself a lot going to youtube and watching documentaries or watching ''how to'' video's, which really keeps my mind occupied during my down time. When i'm not doing that i go to some of my favorite websites and read the latest happenings going on around the world.

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1036
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2022, 09:00:39 pm »
If you like animals. animal shelters and rescues can always use volunteers. Explain your limitations so they can match their needs to your abilities.