Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

September 30, 2022, 12:06:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 16464
  • Latest: tgat241
Stats
  • Total Posts: 246152
  • Total Topics: 24582
  • Online Today: 108
  • Online Ever: 1127
  • (January 16, 2020, 04:17:02 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 111
Total: 111

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: Isolating because of mental health problems and SSDI  (Read 2684 times)

imfinallyhere

• ~ Bronze ~
  • People helped 1
Isolating because of mental health problems and SSDI
« on: January 05, 2021, 09:58:11 pm »
I wonder if people with mental health disabilities usually isolate and avoid others.  Instead of lying to people who wouldn't understand and would criticize, it might be easier to just go off the grid.  Off the grid wouldn't mean moving into the woods far away from humanity but it would be about becoming much more private than how you've normally been and cutting ties with many people.  I slipped into this way of living a while back.  Covid has also made this more of a reality.  My psychologist is very aware of this situation.  It's hard to be around people who were my peers and that I could keep up with who would be judgmental and rejecting if they knew the real situation.  I'm open to support systems beyond therapy that would have privacy for people in a similar situation but seeking out this type of network seems very difficult.

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1051
  • Nice Administrator
Re: Isolating because of mental health problems and SSDI
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 07:45:34 am »
When people ask you a question you do not want to answer, change the subject. Make a comment about them or ask them a question. For example, tell the person you really like their shirt and ask where they got it.
Nerve damage in upper and lower extremities. Degenerative Disc Disease, RA.

Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.

magvertize

• ~ Titanium ~
  • People helped 14
  • Fibromyalgia, bipolar disorder anxity intellectual
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 02:21:30 pm »
This is my main disability I cannot tolerate people! I cannot deal with the everyday association and become the weird one the outcast. If I am judged or referred to in negative light I become arguably intolerant to others feelings or views. I live on the end of a dead end street with no neighbors and like it that way I have plenty of wildlife and my dogs to keep company.
I went through cancer and chemo treatments were I requested to sit privately if possible all went well except for one day I was seated next to a guy who just wanted to talk about our cancer issues he had colon cancer and seemed to be in pretty bad shape I just did not want to talk with him but felt like I could not be mean or disrespectful to him I didn’t even want to change the subject because there was nothing I wanted to say to him, it was pure torture to sit next to him during my 8 hour treatment I felt trapped anxious miserable. I felt bad for him but I just couldn't bring myself to stop him from talking to me maybe I was the only person he had to talk to in a long while so I sat there in complete misery.
I am not grateful for the virus but am happy for the isolation it brings.  I live with my husband who I have no social problem with but am relived no one comes to our house to visit.
I am deemed not disabled because I can go to the doctor and be pleasant, I can be pleasant because I am asking for medical help not being social. I  can live with people because I’m married.
My case is still in federal waiting and hoping for another remand but I lost all hope of being approved and just don’t know how to convince a judge of my true life style and restrictions.
filed 1/15/2013 onset date 5/11/2011
reconsideration 10/15/2013
hearing 9/21/2015 - denied decision 8/1/2016 almost a year
remand from federal 10/3/2018
hearing 6/4/2019 denied
filed 2nd federal 9/9/2019
Remanded from federal 9/7/2021

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1051
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 03:01:55 pm »
This is my main disability I cannot tolerate people! I cannot deal with the everyday association and become the weird one the outcast. If I am judged or referred to in negative light I become arguably intolerant to others feelings or views. I live on the end of a dead end street with no neighbors and like it that way I have plenty of wildlife and my dogs to keep company.
I went through cancer and chemo treatments were I requested to sit privately if possible all went well except for one day I was seated next to a guy who just wanted to talk about our cancer issues he had colon cancer and seemed to be in pretty bad shape I just did not want to talk with him but felt like I could not be mean or disrespectful to him I didn’t even want to change the subject because there was nothing I wanted to say to him, it was pure torture to sit next to him during my 8 hour treatment I felt trapped anxious miserable. I felt bad for him but I just couldn't bring myself to stop him from talking to me maybe I was the only person he had to talk to in a long while so I sat there in complete misery.
I am not grateful for the virus but am happy for the isolation it brings.  I live with my husband who I have no social problem with but am relived no one comes to our house to visit.
I am deemed not disabled because I can go to the doctor and be pleasant, I can be pleasant because I am asking for medical help not being social. I  can live with people because I’m married.
My case is still in federal waiting and hoping for another remand but I lost all hope of being approved and just don’t know how to convince a judge of my true life style and restrictions.

Have you gone into details of how being around others affects you with your psychiatrist ? Did he write that information in your medical records ?   Did you discuss it numerous times ?  Have you gotten copies of your medical records and read them ?  Being able to go to doctor appointments is not the same as working.
Nerve damage in upper and lower extremities. Degenerative Disc Disease, RA.

Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.

magvertize

• ~ Titanium ~
  • People helped 14
  • Fibromyalgia, bipolar disorder anxity intellectual
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 04:00:20 pm »
Yes yes yes my doctor understands me more than I understand myself his notes support my disability he sent a statement outlining a  rev which got me my first remand new judge states it’s subjective complaints. States there is no proof I walked out on one of my last jobs. I sent records from  another  job we’re I was fired when on FMLA due to my symptoms he just stated I needed time off work, he discounted my global assessments but credited one visit were I was not under distress. My primary doctor submitted supporting notes judge discounted him basically I was denied because judge didn’t believe me or any of my 5 doctors. My husband we wrote letters to the judge he ignored and wouldn’t let my husband testify at new hearing.  I don’t understand There is no contradicting  statements. My doctor said the same thing that going to a doctor is not the same thing. On a good note my lawyer supports me she’s still fighting for me. I m just hoping that the federal judge does not except the subjective complaint theory
filed 1/15/2013 onset date 5/11/2011
reconsideration 10/15/2013
hearing 9/21/2015 - denied decision 8/1/2016 almost a year
remand from federal 10/3/2018
hearing 6/4/2019 denied
filed 2nd federal 9/9/2019
Remanded from federal 9/7/2021

imfinallyhere

• ~ Bronze ~
  • People helped 1
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 10:57:56 pm »
When people ask you a question you do not want to answer, change the subject. Make a comment about them or ask them a question. For example, tell the person you really like their shirt and ask where they got it.
These would be people I've known for a long time and know well.  They would eventually want to know what I've been up to and how work is going.  I feel uncomfortable with this topic.  If  I was sitting with them for a meal or visiting, it would be hard to keep dodging this.  This helps explain why I think I've isolated. 

I would tell my friends and relatives who support me and wouldn't judge me negatively.

Have any others who are receiving benefits at this time gone off the grid for similar reasons?  It's not where I expected I'd be. That's how I chose my handle for the forum.  I went through the over 2 year wait from the time I applied at an older age, a CDR, and more, and even now, I still feel worn out from looking back at that and where my life is today. Even though I am in therapy.  I am mostly thankful but I'm still in a haze. 

patiently55

• ~ Titanium ~
  • People helped 14
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 09:15:38 pm »
If anyone asks I say Im retired end of story...

MisplacedTexan

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 39
  • Joined Forum early 2010 and approved in 2012
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 05:34:27 am »
If anyone asks I say Im retired end of story...

That is a good way to answer that question, especially around people you do not know or you know they are judgmental about other people.  It really is best to not let others know our business.
Wise Old Texas Cowboy saying  "Never Squat With Your Spurs On"

I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are in order like they should be.

Caregiver to 4 wonderful rescued dogs.