Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

September 28, 2022, 01:07:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 246138
  • Total Topics: 24580
  • Online Today: 106
  • Online Ever: 1127
  • (January 16, 2020, 04:17:02 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 64
Total: 64

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: My life is forever changed because of my illness  (Read 23887 times)

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1051
  • Nice Administrator
Re: My life is forever changed because of my illness
« Reply #135 on: June 02, 2020, 01:05:43 pm »
They have to use the date your medical and non medical evidence proves you became unable to perform SGA working jobs in the national.economy according to SSA Laws.
Nerve damage in upper and lower extremities. Degenerative Disc Disease, RA.

Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.

Glyzinie

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 2
« Reply #136 on: June 02, 2020, 01:50:14 pm »
Was this an SSI only or an SSDI claim? Do you understand the difference? Do you know your Date Last Insured for SSDI? It is important. How many years did you work before filing and did you work after filing?  You are probably not going to find someone here who is in similar circumstances, to get a new hearing years after a denial, without an appeal.

I applied at 19 so had very little to no work experience. According to the calculator now, Im 2 years shy of "retirement" level. I qualify for just under 1400 SSDI. Ive been working because I have a kid to support. Everyone who had this doctor review anything got another hearing but how far that stretched, I have no idea.

They basically limited me to MAYBE 3000 jobs economically in the country, limiting to like no interaction with anyone, taking into consideration a job that accepts frequent absences each month etc. From what it sounded like, it wasnt a realistic thing.

I just am unsure how this is going to play out because it is so out of the normal. What I have, I was disabled at birth. Bilateral Hip Dysplasia and Fused L4 so while I applied in 2011, Ive had it my whole life and it qualifies under their guidelines. I got nothing.

Helper

• Global Moderator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 585
« Reply #137 on: June 02, 2020, 02:47:14 pm »
Have you been working over SGA?  Currently $1260/month (but less for earlier years). https://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/sga.html#:~:text=Amounts%20for%202020,amount%20for%202020%20is%20%241260.

If you are making over SGA (or had an extended period where you were working over SGA), you could end up with a closed period award for the time before you started to work.  Or a denial because you were subsequently able to work at SGA.

You will not be eligible for a current DAC claim (on your parents work record) because you were previously married.  However, if you are found disabled before age 22 & that was before you got married, you could potentially get DAC benefits from approval (minus a waiting period) until you married - if one of your parents was deceased or receiving SSA benefits during that same time period.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 02:48:57 pm by Helper »

jsm

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 762
« Reply #138 on: June 02, 2020, 03:03:43 pm »
This is a very complicated case.  When you filed in 2011, you were not insured for SSDI and received a technical denial, but returned to work at some point after 2011, at least enough to become insured after alleged onset during the active part of an appeal which allowed your SSDI claim to be looked at again. Quite unusual.

Since you worked after the onset of your disability (birth), SSA must determine if you have, at any point, engaged in Substantial Gainful Activity, and if so, for how long, how many months. The SGA amount referenced in the last post is for 2020. Every earlier year has a lower amount. How many jobs did you have and which months did you work and if you left a job, why did you leave the job and how long did it take to find another job. In other words, your work history, as captured on a SSA-821, Work Activity Report. Hopefully, SSA obtained that from you.

It is possible that you may be looking at entitlement to SSI only for a closed period, but it depends upon your Date First Insured as well as your established onset date of disability. If you had a long term job in which you worked like everyone else for a year or more, that might be considered evidence that you could hold a job and no longer disabled.

This is a pretty complicated case.

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1051
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #139 on: June 02, 2020, 06:09:29 pm »
In order to be eligible for SSI you must meet the financial requirements. If you do not meet the financial requirements. You are not eligible for SSI even if you meet the medical requirements for being disabled.
Nerve damage in upper and lower extremities. Degenerative Disc Disease, RA.

Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.

Glyzinie

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 2
« Reply #140 on: July 15, 2020, 12:18:34 pm »
Just thought I would update that I got denied, again. lol.

newdawn

• Global Moderator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 516
« Reply #141 on: July 25, 2020, 12:26:57 am »

I'm sorry to hear this. Are you going to appeal?
Age at Application: 31
Disability: Depression, anxiety
Applied: 11/2013
First Denial: 03/2014
Reconsideration Denial: 11/2014
Hearing: 11/13/15 (Friday the 13th!)
ALJ Approval: 01/15/16 Fully Favorable
Back Pay: 02/13/16
Award Letter: 02/17/16
1st monthly benefit: 03/21/16

SteelCity1981

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 43
« Reply #142 on: July 26, 2020, 06:21:23 am »
Join the denied club. lol Don't feel bad a lot of us got denied multipe times before getting approved.

Glyzinie

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 2
« Reply #143 on: July 27, 2020, 07:17:57 pm »

I'm sorry to hear this. Are you going to appeal?

I see no reason. I applied in 2011 and went through this whole thing already.

Glyzinie

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 2
« Reply #144 on: July 27, 2020, 07:19:11 pm »
Join the denied club. lol Don't feel bad a lot of us got denied multipe times before getting approved.

This is the end of the road for me. This additional shot was essentially a fluke anyway. I'm done trying. It started when I was 19, Im almost 30 now.