Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

September 30, 2022, 01:00:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 16464
  • Latest: tgat241
Stats
  • Total Posts: 246152
  • Total Topics: 24582
  • Online Today: 134
  • Online Ever: 1127
  • (January 16, 2020, 04:17:02 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 105
Total: 105

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: Therapy during Covid  (Read 3853 times)

newdawn

• Global Moderator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 516
Re: Therapy during Covid
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2020, 10:33:51 am »
Hi Everyone,

I know this is a bit off topic, but in ways it relates to MjWhite1's case too...

Just to give you an idea as to how difficult it is for people like me, and Mjwhite1, who have several different mental health conditions, this is how difficult it is to find mental health care.

I did a quick search on psychologytoday, as recommended by Newdawn as a reputable source to use for finding online therapists.

And for my specific case, this is what showed up:

"No matches for (insert several conditions here) Therapists in (insert zip code here) - Try other Teletherapists"

Grant it, for my case, I only searched in my area, and included a search with 6 (the 7th one was not available as a search option) of my mental health conditions, and with medicaid only insurances, which reflects my situation..

I apologize if I gave the impression that I was advising using psychologytoday as a way to find "online therapists". In fact, my therapist doesn't even come up in a search for "teletherapy" on psychologytoday even though she is providing telehealth services during the time of the covid-19 pandemic.

I was relating that I used psychologytoday profiles to cross reference/weed out providers that had come up during a search from my insurer's website.

Also FWIW, you really need to call each therapist and/or practice to find out what insurance the provider accepts. When I just now did a search for female therapists in my "area"* that accept Medicare, my psychologist did NOT come up in the results. However, when I did the same search without specifying that the provider accept medicare, she did come up in the results.

Similarly, when I did a search for clinical psychologists within a 15-mile radius of my house on medicare.gov, my psychologist did NOT come up in the search results. But when I search the medicare site under her name specifically, she did come up as accepting medicare-approved payment. At first I thought maybe this is because maybe she's not accepting new patients, but I searched for a psychiatrist in my area and my psychiatrist came up in the search results and I know my psychiatrist is NOT accepting new patients.

So for whatever reason, medicare and psychology today don't recognize in their database searches that my provider accepts medicare even though she does.

*I had to increase the search radius on psychologytoday to 10 miles in order to get the city to come up where my psychologist has an office. It's less than 5 miles away from me (about 15 minutes driving from my house) so I have no clue why she doesn't come up in a smaller radius search.

I do recognize that there seem to be some conditions that is harder to find a therapist for to treat and I feel quite badly that that is the case.

However, psychologytoday is just one tool, and an imperfect one. So I would advise anyone looking for a therapist to search multiple places, call around and find out what conditions they actually treat, what insurance they actually take, if they are accepting new patients, and if they are providing telehealth services to new patients in the time of covid-19.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 10:42:14 am by newdawn »
Age at Application: 31
Disability: Depression, anxiety
Applied: 11/2013
First Denial: 03/2014
Reconsideration Denial: 11/2014
Hearing: 11/13/15 (Friday the 13th!)
ALJ Approval: 01/15/16 Fully Favorable
Back Pay: 02/13/16
Award Letter: 02/17/16
1st monthly benefit: 03/21/16

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1051
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2020, 02:05:57 pm »
It is difficult to impossible to find quality Medicaid providers in most areas. That said, online search engines are not up to date on Medicaid providers in any area. In addition, many search engines list those that accept Medicaid only when a,patient also has Medicare along with those that accept Medicaid only. The best way to find any Medicaid provider is to call the provider or call your Medicaid Managed Health Plan or state Medicaid office.
Nerve damage in upper and lower extremities. Degenerative Disc Disease, RA.

Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.

Mjwhite1

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 30
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2020, 06:25:59 am »
You guys are amazing, I cannot thank you enough for providing such detailed and thought out processes!

Last week when I posted, I did a bunch of google searches and cross referenced with good health reviews and found several local places that seemed to be a good fit with their processes and lines of thought, but when I called, I was told by the gatekeepers, that my issues were WAY above their heads, lol. I gave up and called my old doctor and had a session with her. It was not very helpful, but let me at least talk a little.

The answer is, I want help. Notes would be nice just to cover my bases, but honestly, at this point, being past my DLI, I don't know that it even matters anymore, because I don't think anyone will even look. I was talking more with my attorney and was very hopeful that my failed work attempt would prove my abilities. He said flat out, because it took place after my DLI, no one is even going to look at it, except in a new case for SSI. But a new case would probably send me for a new CE anyway. Trust is a big thing for me. I have a hard time trusting people who paid to listen to me.

I will try the suggestions in here when I feel a burst of energy and motivation and see if I can find someone. I was thinking of just giving up on all of it and quitting meds and therapy, but maybe that isn't the smartest thing after all
Somatic Symptom Dis, DID, MDD, GAD, Panic, PTSD
AOD 10/13-32
Applied 10/14-Dnd
ALJ 04/26/17-Dnd 5/10/17
AC 6/17-assigned 3/29/18-Rmnd 5/9/18
ALJ 4/9/19-writer 6/14/19-Dnd 6/27/19
AC 7/19-analyst 4/2 & 6/8-adjudicator 4/17 & 6/16-Dnd 6/16/20
Fed 6/29/20-Rmnd 4/14/22
ALJ 07/19/22-writer 7/29-dnd 8/16

newdawn

• Global Moderator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 516
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2020, 09:01:10 pm »
I will try the suggestions in here when I feel a burst of energy and motivation and see if I can find someone. I was thinking of just giving up on all of it and quitting meds and therapy, but maybe that isn't the smartest thing after all

Please don't give up on therapy and everything just yet. You never know what might be around the next corner. I hope you can sort of recharge and get a little bit of energy and motivation back. I know it's hard and discouraging with all the disappointments with your claim, trying to find a health provider that will take you on, and all the other stressors in your life. But don't close the door entirely on treatment. Tomorrow is always new day (or so they say).
Age at Application: 31
Disability: Depression, anxiety
Applied: 11/2013
First Denial: 03/2014
Reconsideration Denial: 11/2014
Hearing: 11/13/15 (Friday the 13th!)
ALJ Approval: 01/15/16 Fully Favorable
Back Pay: 02/13/16
Award Letter: 02/17/16
1st monthly benefit: 03/21/16