Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

September 28, 2022, 01:36:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 246138
  • Total Topics: 24580
  • Online Today: 106
  • Online Ever: 1127
  • (January 16, 2020, 04:17:02 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 69
Total: 69

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: Therapy forever?  (Read 4380 times)

Helper

• Global Moderator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 585
Re: Therapy forever?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 11:51:39 pm »
If it covers pharmacy trips, maybe it would be worth using a pharmacy in a grocery store if you do not have one in easy walking distance (the grocery store).  Then, you could get a ride to the pharmacy for your prescriptions & get dome groceries while you were there.

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1051
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 12:37:09 am »
The Federal Mandatory Medicaid Transportation Benefit is to and from medical appointments. It is considered non emergency medical transportation.

For those that have Medicaid/Medicare and not Medicaid Only. There seems to be some areas that provide transportation to and from the pharmacy. But, transportation  to  and  from the pharmacy is not a Federal  Mandatory Medicaid Benefit.

https://www.medicaid.gov/medicaid/benefits/list-of-benefits/index.html
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 12:41:13 am by Just Me »
Nerve damage in upper and lower extremities. Degenerative Disc Disease, RA.

Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.

needssi

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 6
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 12:11:28 pm »
Hmm...well they had the non emergency MEDICAL transportation before but as I said, they said that was for those that were unable to use local transportation due to their conditions.  This UBER style program is new and covers everybody.  Perhaps as I said in the other thread, they might have offered reimbursement for NON MEDICAL transportation to appointments before - I never checked into that.  My first trip with the new program was to a lab to get my blood drawn.

My pharmacy delivers thankfully.  I get 10-15 RX's in any given month.  I get my groceries delivered with InstaCart/StaterBros which has been great!  I live in an upstairs apartment and now I can order 6 cases of water for example and they carry it up and into my apartment.  They don't take EBT food stamp benefits but since that's over for me now that I am on SSI, the little amount I have left on my card is for the in between trips for light items that I walk to.

I don't know why they call it NON MEDICAL transportation when it is to medical places.  They explained it as MEDICAL is a "need" due to medical conditions, the NON MEDICAL has no criteria other than coverage by MediCal and covered services only.

pattysofty

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 59
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 12:36:47 pm »
I for one believe therapy doesn't really help me. I mainly go to talk about my problems. The therapist just tells me stuff to do like exercise. In other words, she only tells me the obvious. How can I excercise when I am too depressed to get out of bed. Come CDR time, I know I will be ok, because I visit my therapist on regular basis, even though I think therapy does not help me.

newdawn

• Global Moderator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 516
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 01:33:17 pm »
It appears that California medicaid now distinguishes between NEMT (nonemergency medical transportation) and NMT (nonmedical transportation). So either way, you get to your appointment, but NEMT provides special transport for those who physically need it and NMT can be a regular car, taxi or public transportation that gets you there.

https://www.calhospital.org/sites/main/files/file-attachments/apl_17-010_transportation_final.pdf

For example, this page is quite clear about who qaulifies for NEMT in CA:

Non-Emergency Medical Transportation Services

Ambulance, litter van, or wheelchair van only when ordinary public or private conveyance is medically contra-indicated and transportation is required for obtaining needed medical care for a Medi-Cal benefit.

http://www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/medi-cal/Pages/Benefits_services.aspx#top

Side note: I also looked at an article titled "No Car, No Care? Medicaid Transportation At Risk In Some States" which stated, "Iowa, Indiana and Kentucky, have received federal waivers — and extensions —allowing them to cut Medicaid transportation services." ... "In Iowa and Indiana, Medicaid transportation remains available to several groups of patients, including those classified as 'medically frail,' though the definition of who qualifies can vary widely. In addition, one managed-care provider, Anthem, continues to transport Indiana Medicaid patients, despite the waiver that was first enacted in 2007."

https://khn.org/news/no-car-no-care-medicaid-transportation-at-risk-in-some-states/
Age at Application: 31
Disability: Depression, anxiety
Applied: 11/2013
First Denial: 03/2014
Reconsideration Denial: 11/2014
Hearing: 11/13/15 (Friday the 13th!)
ALJ Approval: 01/15/16 Fully Favorable
Back Pay: 02/13/16
Award Letter: 02/17/16
1st monthly benefit: 03/21/16

poppy

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 10
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 06:34:06 pm »
Some people definitely get better, and some people just stop seeing providers. That happens across all ages, but I know that's not the point of your question.

In either case, a person is supposed to report that they are no longer receiving treatment, and yes, that could lead to new questions from the SSA if the claimant is still trying to receive SSDI benefits.
Hi, SFVLance.  The first paragraph I quoted was what I was getting at.  Since this is the Comfort Zone section of the forum, I thought I'd put this out there as a general question and not so much as it relates to receiving benefits which convert to regular SS retirement.  It's tough to visualize being in therapy almost continuously, and I'm referring to mental health services even a good ways past standard retirement age.  Some days, I really struggle with this.

If you don't think therapy is helping or you don't want to go, don't go. It seems simple to me. You don't have to go the rest of your life. I go on and off. I don't think it helps much but I go when I need someone to talk to about things. It may help with my depression some but it has not helped with some problem attitudes or behaviors I may have--at least as others perceive I have.

newdawn

• Global Moderator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 516
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2018, 01:29:49 am »
Do some people get better or level out or do people just stop seeing mental health providers as they age?

Some people definitely get better, and some people just stop seeing providers. That happens across all ages, but I know that's not the point of your question.

In either case, a person is supposed to report that they are no longer receiving treatment, and yes, that could lead to new questions from the SSA if the claimant is still trying to receive SSDI benefits.

I don't believe there is a duty to report if one is no longer receiving treatment. If your condition has improved, there is a duty to report but I can't find a source that says you must report because you stopped seeking treatment.

Of course, during a CDR, lack of treatment (for most conditions) will likely become an issue.

Reporting requirements for SSDI & SSI:
https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-16-inst.pdf
https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-report-ussi.htm
Age at Application: 31
Disability: Depression, anxiety
Applied: 11/2013
First Denial: 03/2014
Reconsideration Denial: 11/2014
Hearing: 11/13/15 (Friday the 13th!)
ALJ Approval: 01/15/16 Fully Favorable
Back Pay: 02/13/16
Award Letter: 02/17/16
1st monthly benefit: 03/21/16

SFVLance

• SSDFacts Supporter
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 203
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2018, 02:27:33 am »
Yes, I was referring to CDR (sorry for not being clear), but I'd imagine many people who improve and stop seeking treating report that on their own as well.

Okay, maybe some people.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 02:29:29 am by SFVLance »
Los Angeles, CA

Short Version: Filed June 2012 at age 46; major depression + general anxiety. Denied all the way. Fed district court remanded, 2nd hearing delayed twice (11 months total delay). Bench approval at remand hearing in March 2017. Took over six months to receive closed-period award pymt.

poppy

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 10
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2018, 12:05:35 am »
but I'd imagine many people who improve and stop seeking treating report that on their own as well.

Okay, maybe some people.

I am going to go for broke and say no people do that.

imfinallyhere

• ~ Bronze ~
  • People helped 1
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2021, 08:15:51 pm »
I for one believe therapy doesn't really help me. I mainly go to talk about my problems. The therapist just tells me stuff to do like exercise. In other words, she only tells me the obvious. How can I excercise when I am too depressed to get out of bed. Come CDR time, I know I will be ok, because I visit my therapist on regular basis, even though I think therapy does not help me.
I hear you loud and clear about how likely it is to exercise when you often don't get out of bed!  Thank you for pointing this out.  I get into some stretches where I don't even go out of my place.  Especially during winter.