Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

September 28, 2022, 12:29:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 246138
  • Total Topics: 24580
  • Online Today: 106
  • Online Ever: 1127
  • (January 16, 2020, 04:17:02 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 103
Total: 104

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: 100% VA and dealing with SSDI  (Read 5216 times)

Smith

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 2
100% VA and dealing with SSDI
« on: May 28, 2016, 02:23:28 am »
Hello all (& fellow veterans),

Demographics: 27yr, Air Force 2007-2010, Mental Health Technician, no deployments, from and currently located in Michigan.

I'm rated 100% for a psychotic disorder (VA can't decide if it's Schizophrenia or something else), service-connected, NOT unemployable. I also am rated 50% for sleep apnea. The VA also diagnosed me with asthma but my last VA doctor told me it's likely COPD from smoking (1 year in June, off cigerettes!! :Main14:)

This is my second attempt at applying for SSDI. I was denied the first time at the stage after the hearing level (Whatever that is; my attorney did it) after finally being awarded 100% in, like, June 2014. I didn't receive any back pay from the VA for reasons that anger me but I can get  into it if someone is curious.

I've been to the psych hospital 5 times total, the last 4 of which were involuntary and the last two after I was arrested for having an episode in public. My most recent occurred a little over a year ago (March 2015) in Florida when I was bumming on my brother's couch for a place to sleep.

So, anyways, I later moved to Utah (Which is where I was stationed in service) and begun my second SSDI claim. Got denied right off the bat, and now have my hearing date scheduled for the end of July. I literally just signed the papers to be represented by a new attorney 10 minutes ago.

I can't help but wonder if my first denial at the hearing was due to my 'nicer' clothes I wore, as far-fetched as that sounds. I will be going to the next hearing looking like absolute garbage (I'm not buying new, nice clothes again). My attorney seems adamant that I seek a psychiatrist before the hearing, and I think I will simply because they're asking me too; although, in my experience, there isn't much they can do besides give me medication.  :Main20:

Honestly, I'm only trying to get SSDI to ease my worry for when I got back to college. I'll just admit I don't really plan on living on SSDI for forever, the idea brings me down although 100% VA plus SSDI is good (great) money. (I would of stayed in service or been a cop, so I'm still figuring out what I want to do with my life) If it ends up that I cannot maintain going to school (Which has been my struggle for the past 3 years; I keep going even a little mental and then dropping out or just failing) then I'll need SSDI to be able to live on my own in the next year or so. I'm in a bad living situation (Not terrible, but I don't think my roommates are the best for my mental health) and being 'conned' (YES! I'm using that word!) $50k out of VA back pay puts a serious damper in me moving to a decent college and out of these Detroit suburbs in the next year or so. Man, I'd kill to be able to buy a condo right now.  :Main08:

I know this is my second time so I probably got the hang of it now. I'm curious on that clothing issue and if everyone thinks seeing a psychiatrist would be a good idea.

(parentheses are always good lol)

Lit Love

• Global Moderator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 371
Re: 100% VA and dealing with SSDI
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 03:01:03 am »
Not having a definitive diagnosis is an issue.  Not being compliant with mental health treatment and/or taking meds is an issue. 

Dressing up likely had very little to do with your denial at the ALJ level.  How do you explain why the AC denied your appeal when they never saw you?

If you wish to go to college, I recommend you try a community college until you become more stable.  Otherwise you're just throwing money away.

The VA disability process is different than the SSDI process.  How do issues like sleep apnea and asthma effect your ability to perform an unskilled, sedentary job?  Those two issues will likely have little to no effect on your SSDI claim.  Your claim will be focused on your mental health impairment.  Do you need to be under the care of a psychiatrist to be awarded benefits?  Generally speaking, yes.  And to continue receiving benefits you'll need to continue doing so.  You'll probably need to see a licensed therapist as well.  What your attorney is not telling you is that while a few appointments might be better than nothing, SS puts weight on medical documents from your treating docs that you would have a history with--and you won't have that.  SS expects you to do everything in your power to return to work, and again, being compliant with treatment is a big part of that. 

Whether or not you intend to stay on SSDI or not, won't help you be approved.  What matters is why you are unable to work.  The fact you are incapable of managing your own money may help your claim.  You need to tell your attorney about that if you haven't already.  If you are approved, you'll need a Representative Payee to manage your funds.

Smith

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 2
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 03:28:17 am »
Those are good points. I've only been out of therapy for 6 months, in which case I've been using my medication that I still get prescribed to me still. So I haven't been completely skipping or anything.

I'll try to find a doctor that's close to me. I think my biggest issue is that the VA hospital/clinic is like 30-45 minutes away, either direction. I still have Tricare Prime so I'll just deal with some copays for a little while.

Thank you..  :Main18:

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1051
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 08:20:56 am »
The physical conditions that you have listed here, based on what you have said, don't meet the SSA criteria for disability. Don't expect seeing a psychiatrist or psychologist once or only a few times to provide the needed info to be approved.
Nerve damage in upper and lower extremities. Degenerative Disc Disease, RA.

Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.

Lit Love

• Global Moderator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 371
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 09:28:35 am »
Not unemployable is a double negative and means you're employable.  Is that what you meant?

Bonzai

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 505
  • Mean Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 03:31:23 pm »
No, in order to be 100% service-connected for a mental impairment by the Department of Veterans Affairs, one must not be employable and deemed unable to perform any work at all, to include small part-time jobs. 

You can have many mental impairments, but the VA will only grant benefits for the primary impairment to prevent what they call 'pyramiding', because it is difficult to ascertain what is caused by what.  For example, I am 100% service-connected for Bipolar, but also have been diagnosed with 0% service-connected for PTSD.
"If one of these engines fails, how far will the other one take us?"
"All the way to the scene of the crash!" - Ron White

Bonzai

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 505
  • Mean Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 12:02:02 pm »
Smith,

I am responding  to your original post, as I have been contacted as a known veteran member by some SSDFact's members who are disturbed by it.

Hello all (& fellow veterans (which would include me, but I am not sure of the fellow part)),

Demographics: 27yr, Air Force 2007-2010 (not even a full term of service), [former with unknown Last Date of Insured] Mental Health Technician (great position to have to learn how to scam the VA system), no deployments, from and currently located in Michigan.

I'm rated 100% for a psychotic disorder (VA can't decide if it's Schizophrenia or something else), service-connected (no nexus listed), NOT unemployable. I also am rated 50% for sleep apnea (which, in itself, doesn't qualify you for additional monetary compensation awarded beyond 100% service-connected for mental impairment). The VA also diagnosed me with asthma but my last VA doctor told me it's likely COPD from smoking (1 year in June, off cigarettes!! :Main14  :)  The VA ceased awarding compensation for smoking years ago, stating that smoking complications are self-induced.

This is my second attempt at applying for SSDI. I was denied the first time at the stage after the hearing level (Whatever that is (The Social Security Appeals Council); my attorney did it) after finally being awarded 100% in, like, June 2014. I didn't receive any back pay from the VA for reasons that anger me but I can get  into it if someone is curious.  Actions taken by the Department of Veterans Affairs can be addressed on other boards, SSDFacts is for problems with Social Security Administration.

I've been to the psych hospital 5 times total, the last 4 of which were involuntary and the last two after I was arrested for having an episode in public. My most recent occurred a little over a year ago (March 2015) in Florida when I was bumming on my brother's couch for a place to sleep.

So, anyways, I later moved to Utah (Which is where I was stationed in service) and begun my second SSDI claim. Got denied right off the bat, and now have my hearing date scheduled for the end of July. I literally just signed the papers to be represented by a new attorney 10 minutes ago.

I can't help but wonder if my first denial at the hearing was due to my 'nicer' clothes I wore, as far-fetched as that sounds.  (Indeed, it sounds far-fetched as justified reasoning must have been given to have your claim denied up to the Social Security Appeals Council level - clothing worn is not a valid issue) I will be going to the next hearing looking like absolute garbage (I'm not buying new, nice clothes again)(and you think that the ALJ is stupid and won't review your previous hearing, where you appeared nicely groomed?). My attorney seems adamant that I seek a psychiatrist before the hearing, and I think I will simply because they're asking me too; although, in my experience, there isn't much they can do besides give me medication.  :Main20:  By not continuing to seek treatment for your impairments, and I don't mean once or twice, is going to have a very adverse impact on your claim.

Honestly, I'm only trying to get SSDI to ease my worry for when I got back to college. I'll just admit I don't really plan on living on SSDI for forever (just somethng to take advantage of because it's there huh?), the idea brings me down although 100% VA plus SSDI is good (great) money. (I would of stayed in service or been a cop, so I'm still figuring out what I want to do with my life) If it ends up that I cannot maintain going to school (Which has been my struggle for the past 3 years; I keep going even a little mental and then dropping out or just failing (You thought that going to college was going to be easy and they would just hand you a diploma?  It takes a lot of work.)) then I'll need SSDI to be able to live on my own in the next year or so. I'm in a bad living situation (Not terrible, but I don't think my roommates are the best for my mental health) and being 'conned' (YES! I'm using that word!) $50k out of VA back pay puts a serious damper in me moving to a decent college and out of these Detroit suburbs in the next year or so. Man, I'd kill to be able to buy a condo right now.  :Main08:  (I have no idea of what kind of lifestyle you have accustomed yourself to, but with roommates to split the bills and you can't make it on 100% service-connected VA disability ???

I know this is my second time so I probably got the hang of it now. I'm curious on that clothing issue and if everyone thinks seeing a psychiatrist would be a good idea.  Since you have the hang of it now, you really don't need the input of the members of SSDFacts and all you want is input as to whether or not seeing a psychiatrist would be a good idea, and what you should wear to your hearing.  Other members have already chimed in that you need to seek psychiatric care.  I will add that you will have to continue it to maintain SSDI benefits, if they are ever awarded.  In addition, an Administrative Law Judge is a person put in a position of authority over ruling on your claim, so show some respect.

(parentheses are always good lol)(I can use parentheses too)

We have so many members who are struggling while waiting for a decision from the Social Security Administration; some selling off possessions, or staying with whomever after all they own is gone.  We have had member pass away, while waiting for an answer.  You come on the board and post you get VA compensation and "I'm only trying to get SSDI to ease my worry for when I got back to college. I'll just admit I don't really plan on living on SSDI for forever..."

As a veteran, I would like other SSDFacts members know that the majority of veterans I know do not have the same mindset that you have.

I am breaking my own rules about being non-judgemental, but the more feedback I get about this post, the angrier I become.
"If one of these engines fails, how far will the other one take us?"
"All the way to the scene of the crash!" - Ron White

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1051
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 12:25:06 pm »
Smith,

I am responding  to your original post, as I have been contacted as a known veteran member by some SSDFact's members who are disturbed by it.

Hello all (& fellow veterans (which would include me, but I am not sure of the fellow part)),

Demographics: 27yr, Air Force 2007-2010 (not even a full term of service), [former with unknown Last Date of Insured] Mental Health Technician (great position to have to learn how to scam the VA system), no deployments, from and currently located in Michigan.

I'm rated 100% for a psychotic disorder (VA can't decide if it's Schizophrenia or something else), service-connected (no nexus listed), NOT unemployable. I also am rated 50% for sleep apnea (which, in itself, doesn't qualify you for additional monetary compensation awarded beyond 100% service-connected for mental impairment). The VA also diagnosed me with asthma but my last VA doctor told me it's likely COPD from smoking (1 year in June, off cigarettes!! :Main14  :)  The VA ceased awarding compensation for smoking years ago, stating that smoking complications are self-induced.

This is my second attempt at applying for SSDI. I was denied the first time at the stage after the hearing level (Whatever that is (The Social Security Appeals Council); my attorney did it) after finally being awarded 100% in, like, June 2014. I didn't receive any back pay from the VA for reasons that anger me but I can get  into it if someone is curious.  Actions taken by the Department of Veterans Affairs can be addressed on other boards, SSDFacts is for problems with Social Security Administration.

I can't help but wonder if my first denial at the hearing was due to my 'nicer' clothes I wore, as far-fetched as that sounds.  (Indeed, it sounds far-fetched as justified reasoning must have been given to have your claim denied up to the Social Security Appeals Council level - clothing worn is not a valid issue) I will be going to the next hearing looking like absolute garbage (I'm not buying new, nice clothes again)(and you think that the ALJ is stupid and won't review your previous hearing, where you appeared nicely groomed?). My attorney seems adamant that I seek a psychiatrist before the hearing, and I think I will simply because they're asking me too; although, in my experience, there isn't much they can do besides give me medication.  :Main20:  By not continuing to seek treatment for your impairments, and I don't mean once or twice, is going to have a very adverse impact on your claim.

Honestly, I'm only trying to get SSDI to ease my worry for when I got back to college. I'll just admit I don't really plan on living on SSDI for forever (just somethng to take advantage of because it's there huh?), the idea brings me down although 100% VA plus SSDI is good (great) money. (I would of stayed in service or been a cop, so I'm still figuring out what I want to do with my life) If it ends up that I cannot maintain going to school (Which has been my struggle for the past 3 years; I keep going even a little mental and then dropping out or just failing (You thought that going to college was going to be easy and they would just hand you a diploma?  It takes a lot of work.)) then I'll need SSDI to be able to live on my own in the next year or so. I'm in a bad living situation (Not terrible, but I don't think my roommates are the best for my mental health) and being 'conned' (YES! I'm using that word!) $50k out of VA back pay puts a serious damper in me moving to a decent college and out of these Detroit suburbs in the next year or so. Man, I'd kill to be able to buy a condo right now.  :Main08:  (I have no idea of what kind of lifestyle you have accustomed yourself to, but with roommates to split the bills and you can't make it on 100% service-connected VA disability ???

I know this is my second time so I probably got the hang of it now. I'm curious on that clothing issue and if everyone thinks seeing a psychiatrist would be a good idea.  Since you have the hang of it now, you really don't need the input of the members of SSDFacts and all you want is input as to whether or not seeing a psychiatrist would be a good idea, and what you should wear to your hearing.  Other members have already chimed in that you need to seek psychiatric care.  I will add that you will have to continue it to maintain SSDI benefits, if they are ever awarded.  In addition, an Administrative Law Judge is a person put in a position of authority over ruling on your claim, so show some respect.

(parentheses are always good lol)(I can use parentheses too)

We have so many members who are struggling while waiting for a decision from the Social Security Administration; some selling off possessions, or staying with whomever after all they own is gone.  We have had member pass away, while waiting for an answer.  You come on the board and post you get VA compensation and "I'm only trying to get SSDI to ease my worry for when I got back to college. I'll just admit I don't really plan on living on SSDI for forever..."

As a veteran, I would like other SSDFacts members know that the majority of veterans I know do not have the same mindset that you have.

I am breaking my own rules about being non-judgemental, but the more feedback I get about this post, the angrier I become.

I agree 100% with Bonzai.

bex64

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 03:00:06 pm »
 I try not to judge,but.........it seems like you were able to scam the VA and now want to scam SSA. You are getting VA benefits,but ALSO WANT SSDI so you can buy a condo????? There are people on here who are living in thier vehicles and recieving NO HELP from ANYONE--nothing from friends,family,VA,etc

My husband has been seeing a psychiatrist--who supports my husbands claim 100 percent--for more then 10years, is compliant with all medications, treatment plans and has been denied twice. So, why do YOU think that you're entitled to Ssdi when you're even admitting that you'll see a psychiatrist simply to get SSDI so that you can get "mo' money" from the government?

I always try to be encouraging to others in this situation,but,I'll make an exception this time. I hope that SSA sees that you're trying to scam and denies your claim. THIS is the BS that needs to stop.

"When you're drowning, you don't think ,'I would be incredibly pleased if someone would notice that I'm drowning and come and rescue me'...You just scream."
                                                     ~~~John Lennon

Lit Love

• Global Moderator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 371
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 05:41:47 pm »
It's not exactly uncommon for claimants with mental health impairments to apply and not have adequate documentation or care, and they never seem to get this strong of a reaction from fellow members?

He admitted to being "conned" out of 50k and that's not something a competent person would allow.  He also doesn't seem to be particularly savvy about SSDI, even though this will be his 2nd ALJ hearing. 

Maybe I'm being na├»ve, but my interpretation is not of someone simply trying to work the system.  His point about not planning to be on SSDI long term is that he wants to figure out a job where he can work despite his mental impairments.  This is what SS would wish us all to do.  And while that is Smith's goal, it doesn't mean that it is a realistic goal.  He hasn't done well in college thus far, for example.

I was in my 20's when I was injured.  I applied for SSDI to protect my rights just before I had my 3rd surgery, a surgery I fully expected would return my function to my dominant hand, so I truly didn't think I'd need it or be approved.  (Oddly I was almost approved at the 1st stage, but in QC I was denied.)  Instead, that surgery turned into a permanent nightmare of severe, unrelenting pain with many other complications.  The following few years I had a tentative diagnosis and my life was hell, but I had doctors keep claiming this procedure and that medication would put me in remission, or at least help enough that I would regain some function.  I even rescheduled my first ALJ hearing because I had a college final the same day.  I was only able to take 1 class a week, and I had missed so many due to surgical procedures that my professor was insisting I had to be there.  It took years for me to accept that things probably wouldn't improve, and that returning to work wasn't an option.  I received a closed period award with my first application and then eventually a Fully Favorable award going all the way back to my initial injury. 

I would have gladly given up every dime of benefits to be able to return to work, which I loved.  It's incredibly difficult to accept that you may not be able to return to work for anyone, let alone someone in their 20's.  Our identities are closely linked to work, and it can be difficult to lose that when a person is just starting their career and especially when you're single.  While I understand these issues are never easy, regardless of age, I certainly would have preferred my body failing me at the end of my career, not the beginning. 

Lots of people collect SSDI and WC, or SSDI and LTD, or VA and SSDI, so I'm confused why there is an implication of greed?  I guess the main difference being with VA and SSDI benefits, they can actually exceed former military benefits? 

The one thing that struck me as odd was how someone who had never deployed had service connected psychotic disorder?  I have a relative that has schizophrenia and was in the military, that receives SSDI but no VA benefits.  Oftentimes schizophrenia is genetic, as is the case with my relative.  He was conned out of 75k or so of inheritance, after his mother died by a "girlfriend". 

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1051
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 06:06:03 pm »
Lit Love, you said "The one thing that struck me as odd was how someone who had never deployed had service connected psychotic disorder? " This is one of the things that has struck and offended others. He doesn't need the money, he just wants it because it is there. I may be wrong, but I'm sure that some, if not all of the reason that he didn't receive the backpay from VA is because there was no proof that he was entitled to it.

He talks about wanting to finish college, but he isn't interested enough in it to be receiving regular treatment for his impairment. so he would have a chance of improving his condition and being able to go to work. But, he does mention that his roomate situation isn't good for his mental health ???

When he said "Man, I'd kill to be able to buy a condo right now. " It reminded me of kids that want  everything right now. They don't want to spend the years and years working to get it like other people do. They feel that they deserve it just because they want it.

This is Memorial Day Weekend. He could have stated his questions without stating his personal opinions and beliefs. He clearly does not have respect for those that have gone and fought for him to have the right to express those opinions, however selfserving and disrespectful to others they might be.

Kafkasrecruit

• Global Moderator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 28
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 07:09:26 pm »
Ok. I am coming out from the shadows and laying on the table what bothers me so much about this -- please hear me out because I was one of the ones complaining privately.
OH before I get much further, Happy friggin Memorial Day.

And I do hope the attention this thread and Smith are receiving does some amount of good -- that it is not in vain or some unintentional reward for passive-aggressive behavior designed to stir people up. (P.S. Passive-Aggressive is not in the DSM anymore, I believe, so don't use it.)

There are a lot of people hurting, who visit this board for help. Hurting doesn't even begin to describe it. Destitute and living without hope. And worse than that, living with a sense of BETRAYAL by the world around them, by a system most of us put money, worked to keep going, and believed would be there as a last resort only to find out it may not be available to us after all. Not available soon enough to save us from more disabling features of our diseases or not before death claims us.

I can't know what's going on with other people or anything about their particular situations, Smith's included. But, because the SSDI process is so very difficult to understand, and especially because everyone's unique disabilities and limitations are so very personal, it is very difficult for me to not become very RAW and bruised when another poster takes such a nonchalant attitude about 1) their disabling condition and whether to get treatment for it and 2) what the trifling amount of SSDI benefits might afford him/her over and above unearned income he is already, apparently, receiving.

I say "nonchalant" because I have seen others, and know I myself, have been on this board frequently asking questions and expressing shear horror or panic. Panic over a statistically lengthy wait and what that means personally, financially and medically, and horror for the same reasons but mainly because of how an overly complex, excessively backlogged system feels like an utter Betrayal. Never seeing your American Dream come true is one thing. Being Forgotten and alienated by society as a whole -- that is quite another.

It's very difficult to read some posts (like in this thread) that may in fact be genuine but smack of insincerity and cluelessness. Most of us know just how bad "BAD" can get because we LIVE IT.
When someone is truly disabled and unable to draw any income or benefits whatsoever and can expect to wait two years for help?  Try THAT on for size!

I can't expect other's to know what I go through just as I can't know what it's like to walk in other's shoes, for for God's sake TRY!
I am here to tell you that suffering a disabling condition without health care( by no fault or choice of one's own) is one of the most frightening and helpless feelings in the world. Looking at months or years of that possibility is a fate worse than death when you are really sick.

When you need care and treatment, you need it and don't go picking and choosing whether to take your medicine or not. It's NOT an option, but unfortunately and all too often health care in not accessible or affordable for a lot of us.
There are those of us who have already worked through multiple job losses and suffered periods of unemployment due to health and disability only to lose all the rest of our savings, retirement and assets we built up from working 30+ years. We contributed to our communities.   I don't think I've gotten a thank you. NO. I am certain I haven't. I do get askance looks when using my parking permit, though. That's the extent of acknowledgement I get these days. Yep.

If it weren't for a large village of friends in another state pulling together to help me this summer, I would be out on the street come July and still might end up there depending on how long a favorable decision on my claim takes.
Living with roommates and it's "not terrible" but somehow not as preferable as a condo?  Unless it's a meth or crack house, be grateful.
Try a little disabled/elder abuse on for size. It gets terrible real quick and the underside of an overpass starts looking pretty darned good when your roommates (or family memebers) turn from "not-terrible" to "bat-guano-crazy" and plain ole mean because you have no money and cost THEM too much.

Treatment is optional? Diagnosis is differential, secondary, or not certain? Really? And that's ok? Is that a fact?  Wouldn't YOU want to know why you feel so bad and make it stop or at least get a little relief? I know I have with my particular conditions. And, I know there are no doctors willing to touch you when you have no money.  Free clinic or not.  You will wait.

If it is possible in any way to refrain from hurting oneself or others in the process, I would pray Mr Smith land a job not requiring too much sensitivity to others (mortgage broker or collections comes to mind), put away as much as possible (after doctors' co-pays, medication - oh that's right never mind the meds -- and health insurance) out of each paycheck in an interest bearing portfolio of investments--- then by the time 55 rolls around, he will be a millionaire and can tack on an SSDI benefits amount (if it isn't bankrupted from fraud before that) to those millions in that offshore account.

Millennial B.S. is what it is.  :Support03:
I don't think the original poster realizes that SSDI doesn't last forever, either. What's the average?  Five years?  That's right. FIVE YEARS and a lot of people are either dropped or otherwise no longer need it.  FIVE YEARS won't buy a condo but it will keep those funds out of the pockets of someone else who's living on the street.

Thanks. I'm done.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 07:37:01 pm by Kafkasrecruit »

Lit Love

• Global Moderator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 371
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 08:21:02 pm »
Kafkasrecruit,

The majority of those that receive SSDI age out to SS retirement.  The GRID Rules make it easier for older applicants in certain categories to be approved easier, so I would suspect that is the reason why many only receive SSDI for a short period.

Michigan has very affordable rental options.  If Smith can't afford his own place, he isn't exactly flush.

We have no idea what his roommates are like. 

He said he is compliant taking his meds.

I spoke with my own therapist a few years back trying to get help for a homeless man with schizophrenia.  He chose living on the streets over taking his meds and seeking treatment.  (He was denied SSDI at the ALJ level and would not consider applying again.)  My therapist said if he refused treatment there was nothing that could be done. 

Kafkasrecruit

• Global Moderator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 28
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 08:28:24 pm »
Kafkasrecruit,

The majority of those that receive SSDI age out to SS retirement.  The GRID Rules make it easier for older applicants in certain categories to be approved easier, so I would suspect that is the reason why many only receive SSDI for a short period.

Michigan has very affordable rental options.  If Smith can't afford his own place, he isn't exactly flush.

We have no idea what his roommates are like. 

He said he is compliant taking his meds.

I spoke with my own therapist a few years back trying to get help for a homeless man with schizophrenia.  He chose living on the streets over taking his meds and seeking treatment.  (He was denied SSDI at the ALJ level and would not consider applying again.)  My therapist said if he refused treatment there was nothing that could be done. 
It's not comprehensible to me.
Different experiences entirely, adding a generation apart, five states, physical vs mental, educated vs just now getting to college. A world apart and I apologize for not understanding.

Lit Love

• Global Moderator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 371
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2016, 08:32:21 pm »
I just want to remind everyone that while someone with a job as a Mental Health Technician might have an easier time knowing what was needed to be approved for VA benefits, those with psych issues are often drawn to the field in the first place.