Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

September 29, 2022, 02:44:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 246146
  • Total Topics: 24580
  • Online Today: 172
  • Online Ever: 1127
  • (January 16, 2020, 04:17:02 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 59
Total: 59

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: For North Carolina Veterans and Other States Too  (Read 1161 times)

CKD-Fred

• ~ Silver ~
  • People helped 10
For North Carolina Veterans and Other States Too
« on: August 15, 2022, 06:40:15 am »
In 2020 when I became unable to work due to kidney problems, I quickly began to fall behind on the basics:  rent and utilities.  In fact, the trailer park I was living in at the time threatened to kick me out at the end of May if my rent wasn't caught up.  Keep in mind, the Spring of 2020 was when the Pandemic raged across the US, many people in the town where I lived weren't even allowed to go to work and many business simply shut down.  Like others in a similar situation, I was scared about being put out onto the streets.

I contacted my local VA in Charlotte, North Carolina and told them of my situation.  Within a couple days, a veterans support organization contacted me to offer assistance.  I provided them with all the info they asked for and within about ten days, they caught up my past due rent in full and continued to pay my rent at the trailer park all the way through the end of November 2020 so I could stay in my home and get the medical help I needed.

The organization also helped me to arrange help with my utility bill and helped me apply for food assistance through the SNAP program.  All combined, the organization was instrumental in helping me overcome the initial challenges I faced when I had to stop working.

The organization that helped me is named:  Veterans Services of the Carolinas, you can Google it.  They are not part of the VA or any gov't agency.  Rather, they're an independent, non profit that specializes in helping Vets going through hard times and they have branches in multiple cities within North Carolina.  Many states have similar type organizations so, if you're a Vet in need, don't hesitate to reach out to your local VA or a veterans support organization.  The assistance they can provide is invaluable.

I hope this info will help all the other Vets out there who may be struggling with Life Events.
They helped me so very much, I highly recommend this organization.
Disability:  Kidney Disease, Anxiety, Back Problems
State:  North Carolina
File Date:  Oct 2020
Age at Filing:  58
File Method:  Online App, No Lawyer
Monthly SSDI Pmts Began:  Aug 2021

Disabledvet100%

• ~ Silver ~
  • People helped 11
Re: For North Carolina Veterans and Other States Too
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 03:08:47 pm »
So glad u found an agency to help u
Initial 09/19 Recon 3/20
ALJ 06/20 AC 10/20
Federal 10/20
New app 10/20 Recon 10/21
ALJ approved 3/22 then vacated
Fed Remand 1/22
Fed and ALJ combined: Won via OTR 7/22

CKD-Fred

• ~ Silver ~
  • People helped 10
Re: For North Carolina Veterans and Other States Too
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 09:05:48 pm »
Thank you, support organizations can be a lifeline.
Disability:  Kidney Disease, Anxiety, Back Problems
State:  North Carolina
File Date:  Oct 2020
Age at Filing:  58
File Method:  Online App, No Lawyer
Monthly SSDI Pmts Began:  Aug 2021