Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

August 16, 2022, 08:31:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 245813
  • Total Topics: 24540
  • Online Today: 120
  • Online Ever: 1127
  • (January 16, 2020, 04:17:02 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 110
Total: 113

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: SSDI after being rated 100% by VA  (Read 4594 times)

stillhere

• ~ Bronze ~
  • People helped 2
SSDI after being rated 100% by VA
« on: July 31, 2015, 05:18:26 pm »
I filed my SSDI claim in June or 2014. The denial came quickly. I filed for reconsideration, which was also quickly denied even though I had submitted a mental RFC filled out by my VA psychiatrist.

My service connection went from 50% PTSD and 30% for IBS (combines to 70%) to TDIU Permanent & Total after the reconsideration but before the ALJ hearing, which is supposed to take place in November. My attorney says they are currently doing a "workup" of the case.

I'm wondering how much bearing will the new VA rating have on my SSDI claim? I have a history of workplace problems, and I've been terminated from my last two jobs. I've submitted evidence of this and I also have considerable VA medical records which have been submitted.
Thanks...

BRBB

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 103
  • When life gives you minnows - be a Walleye
Re: SSDI after being rated 100% by VA
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 05:35:00 pm »
I would suggest seeking out a representative or advocate to help you with the next step or steps in the appeals process if you have not already done so. The SSA has their specific requirements and unfortunately, more often than not, it is common for claimants to be denied ssdi with said 100% rating from the VA.

Best of luck and welcome to the forum from another Arizona resident.

Philip

stillhere

• ~ Bronze ~
  • People helped 2
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 05:37:07 pm »
I do have a local SSA attorney who has been representing me since I got denied at the reconsideration stage. Is there some other kind of advocate or representative?

BRBB

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 103
  • When life gives you minnows - be a Walleye
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 05:54:36 pm »
Sorry ~ I missed where you said you had an attorney.

No - there is not another.

What does your attorney say? And I'd be asking how will he/she present your claim.....since for the first two  levels....you were denied. I'd be wanting to know what changes or strategy he/she will be using.

stillhere

• ~ Bronze ~
  • People helped 2
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 06:03:03 pm »
I haven't had that conversation yet, but when she gets back to her office, I think I will do just that. Meanwhile, I've been working  hard to find  and submit relevant evidence to her. I have evidence of past work problems. Inpatient psychiatric hospitalizations, family court orders limiting my contact with my minor son, Vet center records, and more.

Shortie

• ~ Silver ~
  • People helped 9
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 09:55:28 pm »
100% disabled per the VA, is often harder to get, then SSDI.  It's strange.   I know several veterans who o qualified  for and had SSDI before they were declared 100% disabled by the VA.

Best of. Luck to you!!
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
― Albert Einstein