Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

September 30, 2022, 12:28:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 16464
  • Latest: tgat241
Stats
  • Total Posts: 246152
  • Total Topics: 24582
  • Online Today: 113
  • Online Ever: 1127
  • (January 16, 2020, 04:17:02 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 110
Total: 110

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: SSDI first then VA  (Read 4547 times)

bobz

• ~ Bronze ~
  • People helped 2
SSDI first then VA
« on: August 29, 2016, 07:57:48 am »
I got awarded my SSDI first and continued the fight with the VA. I did receive 100% from the VA finally but the question is should I notify SS about receiving the 100 From the "lightening fast" VA?
The VA is 100% P&T with no re-exams.

:Confused21:

Lit Love

• Global Moderator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 371
Re: SSDI first then VA
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 09:52:56 am »
I believe VA benefits are not subject to offset, correct?  If your VA award has no financial impact on your SSDI, then there is no reason to notify.

Gmen6464

• ~ Bronze ~
  • People helped 2
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 01:36:53 pm »
NO NEED to notify at all! Congrats on getting both now concentrate on you! God bless!

WhiteTiger01982

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 02:27:16 am »
As a veteran my self, I will say congrats. But, NO there is no reason to contact social security. SSDI does not affect your VA and vice versa.. Your VA does not affect your SSDI. If you are receiving SSI then your VA would affect that.

bobz

• ~ Bronze ~
  • People helped 2
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 09:38:27 pm »
I should have stated would notifying them eliminate the continuing review?

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1051
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 10:14:29 pm »
Approval for VA benefits, won't affect SSA's CDR. But, with your age, you may not receive one. There is no way of knowing for sure. Continue to see your drs and follow prescribed treatments, meds, etc.
Nerve damage in upper and lower extremities. Degenerative Disc Disease, RA.

Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.

Bonzai

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 505
  • Mean Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 11:06:04 am »
Being a 100% Service-connected P&T veteran, and an SSDI Medically Improvement Not Expected (MINE), I can say that although the VA and Social Security are two separate Governmental agencies, they acknowledge one another.

The VA give greater credence to a determination of disability by the Social Security Administration (SSA), that the SSA does for the VA.

There have been many attempts to have benefits for 100% service-connected P&T veterans get SSDI benefits automatically, but the SSA has steadfastly refused and battled for its autonomy using 20 CFR 404.1504 "A determination of disability made by another non-Governmental or Governmental agency is not binding upon the Social Security Administartion..."
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 12:04:20 pm by Bonzai »
"If one of these engines fails, how far will the other one take us?"
"All the way to the scene of the crash!" - Ron White

lighthouse

• ~ Silver ~
  • People helped 1
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 09:56:28 pm »
By congress law you will have a review. Best to call your local SSA office and request your BPQY report..its best to do this when you get approved and after every review..To keep updated information just like you would with VA.  You can also as them when you request your BPQY report "When is my review date " they will tell you..do not let them charge you..this is free to you at anytime..if the local office says they charge..call the 1-800 number..sometimes you will get workers who do not even know what this is!..Best to have it!...remember: if you are over 55 your review dates will be out 7 yrs or more..there are 3 groups the examiner profiled you when you were approved..so your review date is "SET"...BUT at times the STATE is backlogged or decides not to do yours when the time comes..all they are doing is placing it out ..you will get one!..unless you are reaching retirement...And to answer your question..100 P&T has nothing to do with the reviews that are set by social security...AGE and diagnosis does. Example..all mental..3 years..physical and mental 5 years..and 7 years if your in the MINE group (Medical improvement not expected group )...