Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

September 28, 2022, 01:30:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 246138
  • Total Topics: 24580
  • Online Today: 106
  • Online Ever: 1127
  • (January 16, 2020, 04:17:02 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 79
Total: 79

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: TDIU and first time filing for SSDI  (Read 5429 times)

USMCJMM

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
TDIU and first time filing for SSDI
« on: April 23, 2015, 03:47:45 pm »
Hello Everyone, I just joined this forum and it's great! I'm looking for advice on first-time filing. I was awarded 100% TDIU from the VA in November of 2013 but it was backdated to Sept. of 2003. I was told that I could also file for SSDI but wasn't sure how to do it. I started looking through my info and wanted to get started. I have some questions that I'd love some advice from others already experienced with this.

1 - Should I file online myself or get a lawyer?
2 - Filing online they ask which day I was unable to work. Do I put the day that I was awarded TDIU from the VA or the last time I held a short-term part-time job? I've never earned over 15k a year and never long-term employment since I was in the Marines.
3 - On initial filing, do I put TDIU in the remarks section or is there anything recommended to put there?

I'm new to this and would appreciate your thoughts and any other advice that anyone has. Thank you.

Semper Fi

James

diamonds1.5

• SSDFacts VIP
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 71
Re: TDIU and first time filing for SSDI
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 04:03:34 pm »
You can file online most attorneys will not take the case until the hearing level....

The date you put down is the last day you worked.

Check to make sure you have enough credits to qualify for ssdi. If not you only have the option of ssi ( income/ asset level limits)

Not sure on last one..

Make sure you print or write down confirmation number...very important

Take copies of medical record and hand deliver to local SSA office.

Keep us informed and good luck

USMCJMM

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 04:05:20 pm »
Thank you for the advice! Where do I check to see if I have enough credits to file?

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1051
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 04:46:39 pm »
 :Welcome02: :Welcome07:

You need to create an online account. I have put the link below.

http://ssa.gov/myaccount/
Nerve damage in upper and lower extremities. Degenerative Disc Disease, RA.

Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.

newdawn

• Global Moderator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 516
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 04:59:38 pm »
Thank you for the advice! Where do I check to see if I have enough credits to file?

If you create an account at http://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/, you should be able to see all your earnings from the past years and I think it may give you your retirement or disability estimate (not sure as once you file like I have, it reverts to "not available").

There's also a calculator here http://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/AnypiaApplet.html that you can plug your info into and get a rough estimate of what your disability benefit amount might be.

More about credits needed for SSDI: http://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/credits3.html

In the year 2015, you must earn $1,220 in covered earnings to get one Social Security or Medicare work credit and $4,880 to get the maximum four credits for the year. http://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/credits1.html

Also, the first thing that will happen once you submit your online application is that SSA will determine if you are eligible (based on work credits) for SSDI. And the online application doesn't take too long to fill out. So don't worry too much if you're unsure if you're eligible--SSA will let you know if you don't, and you'll only be out the time it took you to complete the online application. But I would still register an account with ssa.gov because it will give you clues later on about if you're approved/denied.

Regarding your questions:
1. I would personally file online. Filing by paper (not online) means someone will have to manually enter your answers into a computer later on. I would rather enter my answers myself. It's your call whether you think a lawyer can help you at this point but generally they don't do much until the hearing level, but some people think they've been helpful.

As diamonds1.5 mentioned, once you submit your online application: Make sure you print or write down confirmation number...very important This way you can check your claim status later on.

If you do get a lawyer now, you still have to stay on top of them and make sure they request and submit all of your medical records. You can't just sit back and assume they will gather and submit all of your records (same goes for totally relying on SSA to get all of your records). You may even want to gather and submit your medical records yourself just to be sure SSA receives them. But at the very least, once you've filed and have received the adult function report and work history report from your DDS examiner, call your providers to make sure they've been contacted by SSA and have faxed something back and then call your DDS examiner (once you've been assigned one) and confirm what records they've received.

2. Put the last day you worked.

3. You could put it in the remarks section.

After you file online and are determined eligible for ssdi, they will eventually send you a big packet in the mail. It will contain the Adult Function Report (AFR) and the Work History Report and a barcoded page on top that ensures that when you fax or mail it back that it will go to the correct file. That's when you'll get a chance to really describe your conditions and what prevents you from working. Here's what the AFR looks like: https://www.socialsecurity.gov/forms/ssa-3373-bk.pdf just to give you a preview.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 05:02:14 pm by newdawn »
Age at Application: 31
Disability: Depression, anxiety
Applied: 11/2013
First Denial: 03/2014
Reconsideration Denial: 11/2014
Hearing: 11/13/15 (Friday the 13th!)
ALJ Approval: 01/15/16 Fully Favorable
Back Pay: 02/13/16
Award Letter: 02/17/16
1st monthly benefit: 03/21/16

Lit Love

• Global Moderator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 371
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 06:22:51 pm »
Assuming you haven't worked since 2003, your work credits for SSDI would have expired in 2008. Your Alleged Onset Date must be a date when you were still eligible for SSDI.  Usually the last day worked is the most appropriate, unless there was a major accident or surgery that would have happened later, but still within those 5 years of eligibility (or Date Last Insured). 

Your most important medical documentation will need to come from a year prior to your AOD through your DLI. 

You will only be eligible for benefits going back 12 months from when you file, so it's best to start the clock this month and not wait for May if it all possible.

I would also consider Non Attorney reps.  They're often more hands on than attorney and will take clients from the first application.  I believe there are a few that post here on NT that seem very good.  Allsup might be another option.

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 1051
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 06:36:10 pm »
Retroactive Benefits can only go back 12 months. Backpay is based on your Established Onset Date that is the date SSA/ALJ decides you became disabled. The EOD can go back several yrs prior to filling.

For SSI there are no retroactive benefits and the soonest you can receive benefits is the month after you make the SSI application, even if your disability began before your applied.
Nerve damage in upper and lower extremities. Degenerative Disc Disease, RA.

Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.